    being retrieved .

    Any ideas be great help!

    Thanks TRM
    The Running man, Nov 11, 2003

  2. The Running man

    Kris Guest

    In article <CS8sb.733461$>,
    "The Running man" <> wrote:

    > Can you help me with this one please.
    >
    > This is similar to the onmouseover but not quite....
    >
    > I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown in
    > the status bar when a file is downloading.
    > My site runs off a forwarding ISP

    Fix that and the perceived problem will go away.

    > so i dont really want
    > www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
    > in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
    > being retrieved .

    Don't use location in the status bar. Porn webmasters try to do that.

    People who don't know about the status bar will not even notice you did
    something to it. And people who do know the status bar will be annoyed
    you attempt to break the functionality it has to them, namely to see
    where the link leads to.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Nov 11, 2003

  3. The Running man

    Kris Guest

    In article <4all.nl>,
    Kris <> wrote:

    > Don't use location in the status bar.

    My cooked brain tried to make that sound as "Don't mess with the
    location [..]".

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Sadly i am no porn master and i am not stopping people seeing the location
    when they click the link

    I wanto to stop the location being shown WHEN the download it happening as
    it looks unprofessional.

    Thanks

    The Running man, Nov 11, 2003
  5. The Running man schrieb:

    > I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown in
    > the status bar when a file is downloading.
    > My site runs off a forwarding ISP so i dont really want
    > www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
    > in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
    > being retrieved .

    Maybe you're a bit too obsessed with appearances. Most people don't look
    at the status bar anyway. But those which do look will want accurate
    information; they might feel mislead when it's not there.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Nov 11, 2003
  6. The Running man wrote:

    > I wanto to stop the location being shown WHEN the download it happening as
    > it looks unprofessional.

    First of all, don't top post. http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    What looks unprofessional is not letting the browser do what the user
    wants. The user's browser isn't doing anything special for your site,
    that's what the user will be used to.
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 11, 2003
  7. "Matthias Gutfeldt" <> wrote in message
    > The Running man schrieb:
    > >
    > > I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown

    in
    > > the status bar when a file is downloading.
    > > My site runs off a forwarding ISP so i dont really want
    > > www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
    > > in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
    > > being retrieved .

    > Maybe you're a bit too obsessed with appearances. Most people don't look
    > at the status bar anyway. But those which do look will want accurate
    > information; they might feel mislead when it's not there.
    >

    > Matthias

    I am thinking of more confused really.

    If i have a domain which is say www.usa.com and then they see the bottom
    browser saying
    opening page "www.geocites.com/gg//gfg/g/g/index2.htm thats what i call
    confusing?
    The Running man, Nov 11, 2003
  8. The Running man schrieb:

    > "Matthias Gutfeldt" <> wrote in message
    > > The Running man schrieb:
    > > >
    > > > I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown

    > in
    > > > the status bar when a file is downloading.
    > > > My site runs off a forwarding ISP so i dont really want
    > > > www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
    > > > in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
    > > > being retrieved .

    > > Maybe you're a bit too obsessed with appearances. Most people don't look
    > > at the status bar anyway. But those which do look will want accurate
    > > information; they might feel mislead when it's not there.
    > >

    > I am thinking of more confused really.
    >
    > If i have a domain which is say www.usa.com and then they see
    > the bottom browser saying opening page
    > "www.geocites.com/gg//gfg/g/g/index2.htm thats what i call
    > confusing?

    Hmm, that depends I guess. You could run an actual user test to see
    whether the users even notice, and if so, whether they're confused or
    not.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Nov 11, 2003
  9. The Running man

    Kris Guest

    In article <kb9sb.815011$>,
    "The Running man" <> wrote:

    [top posting corrected]

    > "Kris" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <CS8sb.733461$>,
    > > "The Running man" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can you help me with this one please.
    > > >
    > > > This is similar to the onmouseover but not quite....
    > > >
    > > > I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown

    > in
    > > > the status bar when a file is downloading.
    > > > My site runs off a forwarding ISP

    > > Fix that and the perceived problem will go away.
    > >
    > > > so i dont really want
    > > > www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
    > > > in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
    > > > being retrieved .

    > > Don't use location in the status bar. Porn webmasters try to do that.
    > >
    > > People who don't know about the status bar will not even notice you did
    > > something to it. And people who do know the status bar will be annoyed
    > > you attempt to break the functionality it has to them, namely to see
    > > where the link leads to.

    > Sadly i am no porn master

    Don't we all wish. :)

    > and i am not stopping people seeing the location
    > when they click the link

    The point is that many won't click because they don't see where the link
    _will be_ leading to.

    > I wanto to stop the location being shown WHEN the download it happening as
    > it looks unprofessional.

    You can 1). change the location to a more professional one (and pay
    money for it, probably), 2. use a server side script on a more decent
    location that fetches the files from anywhere you want and serves them
    to the user, or 3). get over it and wonder (and then evaluate) if your
    visitor minds.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)