Hide the download location

The Running man

Hi all

Can you help me with this one please.

This is similar to the onmouseover but not quite....

I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown in
the status bar when a file is downloading.
My site runs off a forwarding ISP so i dont really want
www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
being retrieved .

Any ideas be great help!

Thanks TRM

Kris

The Running man said:
Can you help me with this one please.

This is similar to the onmouseover but not quite....

I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown in
the status bar when a file is downloading.
My site runs off a forwarding ISP

Fix that and the perceived problem will go away.
so i dont really want
www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
being retrieved .

Don't use location in the status bar. Porn webmasters try to do that.

People who don't know about the status bar will not even notice you did
something to it. And people who do know the status bar will be annoyed
you attempt to break the functionality it has to them, namely to see
where the link leads to.

The Running man

Sadly i am no porn master and i am not stopping people seeing the location
when they click the link

I wanto to stop the location being shown WHEN the download it happening as
it looks unprofessional.

Thanks

Matthias Gutfeldt

The said:
I would like to be able to hide if possible the download location shown in
the status bar when a file is downloading.
My site runs off a forwarding ISP so i dont really want
www.geopages./gdgr/gregreg/index.htm........ shown
in the status page whilst the site is loading up or when other pages are
being retrieved .

Maybe you're a bit too obsessed with appearances. Most people don't look
at the status bar anyway. But those which do look will want accurate
information; they might feel mislead when it's not there.

Matthias

Leif K-Brooks

The said:
I wanto to stop the location being shown WHEN the download it happening as
it looks unprofessional.

First of all, don't top post. http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

What looks unprofessional is not letting the browser do what the user
wants. The user's browser isn't doing anything special for your site,
that's what the user will be used to.

The Running man

Matthias Gutfeldt said:
Maybe you're a bit too obsessed with appearances. Most people don't look
at the status bar anyway. But those which do look will want accurate
information; they might feel mislead when it's not there.

Matthias

I am thinking of more confused really.

If i have a domain which is say www.usa.com and then they see the bottom
browser saying
opening page "www.geocites.com/gg//gfg/g/g/index2.htm thats what i call
confusing?

Kris

[top posting corrected]
Sadly i am no porn master

Don't we all wish. :)
and i am not stopping people seeing the location
when they click the link

The point is that many won't click because they don't see where the link
_will be_ leading to.
I wanto to stop the location being shown WHEN the download it happening as
it looks unprofessional.

You can 1). change the location to a more professional one (and pay
money for it, probably), 2. use a server side script on a more decent
location that fetches the files from anywhere you want and serves them
to the user, or 3). get over it and wonder (and then evaluate) if your
visitor minds.