hide the file extension

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Matt, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matt, Jul 5, 2004

  2. A custom 404 handler, perhaps. Also, if signup is a folder and default.asp
    accepts an id parameter, you can type that in and get to the page correctly,
    though the browser will inject the missing / as it renders the page. This
    behavior may differ between browsers.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 5, 2004

  3. Matt

    Evertjan. Guest

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 05 jul 2004 in

    > A custom 404 handler, perhaps.

    could be, but more probable and less server unfriendly is this:

    > Also, if signup is a folder and
    > default.asp accepts an id parameter, you can type that in and get to
    > the page correctly, though the browser will inject the missing / as it
    > renders the page. This behavior may differ between browsers.

    accepting

    http://www.myserver.com/blah?value=123

    for

    http://wwwmy.server.com/blah/index.asp?value=123

    is a server thing IMHO, and not browser dependent.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 5, 2004
  4. Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 5, 2004
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I don't think this is 404 custom handler.

    What I meant is something like: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT

    Matt, Jul 6, 2004
  6. >I don't think this is 404 custom handler.

    > What I meant is something like: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT

    Why can't that be a custom 404 handler? I'm not stating that it IS, but it
    certainly could be. SOMETHING is stepping in and determining how to process
    a file with no extension... if you have any other ideas, please share
    them...

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 6, 2004
  7. Another possibility is ISAPI filter/extension. Of course, this is beyond
    the scope of ASP...

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)