hide the file extension

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

A custom 404 handler, perhaps. Also, if signup is a folder and default.asp
accepts an id parameter, you can type that in and get to the page correctly,
though the browser will inject the missing / as it renders the page. This
behavior may differ between browsers.

Evertjan.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 05 jul 2004 in
A custom 404 handler, perhaps.

could be, but more probable and less server unfriendly is this:
Also, if signup is a folder and
default.asp accepts an id parameter, you can type that in and get to
the page correctly, though the browser will inject the missing / as it
renders the page. This behavior may differ between browsers.

accepting

http://www.myserver.com/blah?value=123

for

http://wwwmy.server.com/blah/index.asp?value=123

is a server thing IMHO, and not browser dependent.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I don't think this is 404 custom handler.
What I meant is something like: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT

Why can't that be a custom 404 handler? I'm not stating that it IS, but it
certainly could be. SOMETHING is stepping in and determining how to process
a file with no extension... if you have any other ideas, please share
them...

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Another possibility is ISAPI filter/extension. Of course, this is beyond
the scope of ASP...