hiding browser toolbar and menubar

Jho

Is it wise to do the following to hide html source and
other info.

I plan to do a popup window which would close my existing
web page and popup a window in its place without toolbar
and menubar.

are there any disadvantages of hiding browser toolbar and
menubar ?
thanks

Curt_C [MVP]

biggest reason... no one will ever visit your site again...
It's a HUGE annoyance and in the end you aren't actually disabling
anything...

jho

thanks appreciate your comment. sometimes user can press
back button. The same action can be repeated twice.

I was thinking a way around.
any suggestions

jho

Curt,
i would like to mention that iam implementing an
application not a commercial website which would be used
internally within a company.
My first page is blank with no background. And there is no
popup which says "do you want to close this window". It
replaces the existing window without flashing, just hides
the toolbar and menubar.

Appreciate your comments.
thanks

Scott Reynolds

You'd would also want to disable the right click on the page if you really
want to hide the source.

Ofcourse once you have done all those things you limit the ability for
anyone internally to print the page unless you want to start adding print
buttons etc as well on every page.

Curt_C [MVP]

code it so that when the user does click the BACK button it doesn't break
anything....

Kevin Spencer

It is simply not possible to hide HTML source code. HTML is text. When the
browser requests a page from the server, it downloads a copy of the HTML
document to its' Temporary Internet Files folder. While you can mangle the
browser interface to such an extent that it is almost impossible to see the
source code in the browser, all the tricks in the world will never prevent
someone from going in the Temporary Internet Files folder and opening ANY
file in Notepad.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

jho

Thanks All!! I fully appreciate your comments.
I will not implement this functionality.