Hiding data from screen scrapers and bots

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brian W, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Brian W

    Brian W Guest

    I was hoping someone here would know something about screen scrapers,
    spiders, bots. Perhaps it's a stupid question, but here it goes
    anyway...

    Is there any way to make data harder for a screen scraper, spider or bot to
    collect?

    I don't mind people going to a page and looking at the data I have on the
    page, obviously, or I wouldn't be putting it on a web page in the first
    place. I just want to make it as difficult as possible (within reason) for
    automated processes from gathering this info for SPAM (email & telephone)

    My first instinct is to do something like this:

    My other idea was to use the method above, but instead of using the
    characters in each cell, I would use the code for each character.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Brian W

    BTW, I don't want to use JPGs of GIFs

    Brian W, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Hi Brian,

    I think you could also have a random number of rows at the top of the table
    with a height of zero. This would make it impossible for some scraper to
    know where a specific piece of information is.

    Have a nice day.

    Regards,

    HuangTM
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE/MCSD

    This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.

    Tian Min Huang, Jul 18, 2003