Hiding X windows

dirk dierickx

All,

I'm looking for a way to hide opened windows in X, these windows can be
using any widget-set so it will not target gtk, qt, motif, etc directly
(I know how to do it in gtk for example, but this will only work for gtk
apps ofcourse).

Just an easy way to select a certain window and hide it, is anything like
this possible?

thanks,

Jeff Epler

You may want to use a standalone program to do this. "xwit" has the
ability to iconify a window which can be selected in a variety of ways.
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/X11/Misc/xwit-1.0/man.html

There's a direct Python interface to the X protocol in python-xlib. You
could re-write the common function "Select_Window()" from dsimple.c in
the X source distribution. One (old) copy is here:
http://ftp.rge.com/pub/X/X11R6.4/xc/programs/xwininfo/dsimple.c

Having done that, I'm not entirely sure how you proceed to hide the
window. You might follow the directions in the ICCCM on how to iconify
or withdraw a window (http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.4),
or you might follow the EWMH document
(http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.4.html#id2507242)

Jeff