Hierarchal Tree Control in a combobox

David W. Simmonds

Outside of building a custom ActiveX control that would need to run on the
user's machine and have security attributes set to allow such, does anyone
have any code that will allow a combobox to display a tree of items? I could
display a tree control, but that takes a lot of space on the page. I have
seen comboboxes in non-web apps uses such a thing. I want to be able to
display a tree in a compact fashion. Any ideas would be appreciated.

David W. Simmonds

What is an IFrame? Is it represented in a small space and expands when
needed like a combobox?

David W. Simmonds

You can do the same thing with a tree control. You can make it a certain
size and the control has a scrollbar. Is that not the same idea? Can you
point me at a sample webpage that I can view with a browser to see what you
mean as an example?

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello David,

I didn't see such web server controls before. Surely we could develop one in a windows forms control or ActiveX control and
then host it in web page. However, I think you have know this way before.

On my opinion, developing it as a new web server control is a time consuming work. I think you could just use a tree control
and manage the content of the control to control the size of it. Or you could just add several combobox server control in the
page to simulate it. In this way, you could save a lot of time.

Tree server control: http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/treeweb.asp
Combobox server control: http://www.coreyhulen.com/

Hope it helps.

Best regards,