High Level FTP library

Paulo Pinto

Hello,

Is there any Python library similar to NET::FTP from Perl?
ftplib seems too lowlevel.

I already found a few, but would like to get one that is
endorsed by the community.

Thanks,
Paulo

Jonas Geiregat

Paulo said:
Hello,

Is there any Python library similar to NET::FTP from Perl?
ftplib seems too lowlevel.

I already found a few, but would like to get one that is
endorsed by the community.

Thanks,
Paulo

libftp sucks just look at how it's written such evil code!
Not that I know of, write your own based on libftp good luck!

Russell E. Owen

"Paulo Pinto said:
Hello,

Is there any Python library similar to NET::FTP from Perl?
ftplib seems too lowlevel.

I already found a few, but would like to get one that is
endorsed by the community.

Try urllib or urllib2; these are included with python. urllib2 is newer
but only works for anonymous ftp. Caveat: I ran into trouble doing
multiple simultaneous ftp using urllib. I have not used urllib2.

Another possibility is Twisted Framework. It has a bit of a learning
curve but is well regarded. If you plan to do a lot with networking you
should definitely check it out.

-- Russell

Peter A. Schott

I've used the ftputil package before with some success. It's not bad, but it
really depends on what you're trying to do. If you write a couple of custom
functions to get you started, you should be able to put those in a module and
re-use as needed.

I know that I had to code my own stuff to handle some non-standard FTP flavors
for some of our partners. Knowing how to work ftplib was pretty helpful at that
point as ftputil didn't support those versions of FTP. It still did a great job
for regular stuff, but not for that.

Hope that helps some.

-Pete