    Does anyone know of a simple python package for doing this? I'd rather
    have something written in pure python, so that it is easily cross-platform.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Sanders, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Jeremy Sanders

    Petri Laakso Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 11:15:27 +0000, Jeremy Sanders wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > I'd like to write a program which basically does a few snmpgets. I haven't
    > been able to find a python package which gives you a nice high-level and
    > simple way of doing this (like PHP has). Everything appears to be
    > extremely low level. All I need is SNMPv1.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a simple python package for doing this? I'd rather
    > have something written in pure python, so that it is easily cross-platform.

    Hi, Jeremy

    have you tested twistedsnmp?
    http://twistedsnmp.sourceforge.net/

    Petri

    Petri Laakso, Dec 9, 2004

  3. On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:34:14 +0200, Petri Laakso wrote:

    >> have you tested twistedsnmp?

    > http://twistedsnmp.sourceforge.net/

    I looked at it, but it needs Twisted compiled and installed, which is a
    pain.

    The old versions of PySNMP (version 2.XX), seem to be a lot simpler to
    use than later ones, so I might do that. That's if I can work out how to
    convert the random string it produces to a floating point number. Somehow
    it manages to gain 3 bytes over a float...

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Sanders, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Jeremy Sanders

    Keith Dart Guest

    Jeremy Sanders wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I'd like to write a program which basically does a few snmpgets. I haven't
    > been able to find a python package which gives you a nice high-level and
    > simple way of doing this (like PHP has). Everything appears to be
    > extremely low level. All I need is SNMPv1.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a simple python package for doing this? I'd rather
    > have something written in pure python, so that it is easily cross-platform.
    >
    > Jeremy

    The pyNMS package at sourceforge has a complete SNMP (v1, v2c)
    implementation. In pure Python, and fairly self contained. See

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pynms

    There are few docs, sorry. If you want to use it and have any questions
    then please let me know (I wrote it).

    BTW, you can also read MIB files if you have libsmi installed. But the
    pyNMS package contains a utility called mib2py that converts MIB objects
    to Python, and the pyNMS package has most standard MIBS pre-compiled.
    So, you don't really need libsmi to use the standard MIBs.

    The name means Python Network Management System, and will become a
    complete network management system with GUI and scriptability soon. ;-)

    There is some support for creating XHTML reports, NMS web interface,
    SNMP get/set, SNMP trap receiver, Ping/ICMP module, process management,
    MIB browser, CLI construction kit, web protocols, easy email interface,
    and asyncio framework. Works well with Linux or FreeBSD.

    (PS. It can also answer your phone and take a message)

    --
    \/ \/
    (O O)

    Keith Dart, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Jeremy Sanders

    Ilya Etingof Guest

    Jeremy Sanders <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:34:14 +0200, Petri Laakso wrote:

    [skipped]

    > The old versions of PySNMP (version 2.XX), seem to be a lot simpler to
    > use than later ones, so I might do that. That's if I can work out how to

    Recent versions tend to be more complex because they're following SNMPv3
    model, which is complex. However, a simplistic high-level layer is
    scheduled for implementation.

    > convert the random string it produces to a floating point number. Somehow
    > it manages to gain 3 bytes over a float...

    Basic SNMP types don't seem to include floating point numbers. Maybe you're
    decoding something defined by a TEXTUAL-CONVENTION at a MIB? The protocol
    (for packing floating point value into some native SNMP type) might be
    specified by the TC then.

    If you provide more details I'm willing to help.

    -ilya

    Ilya Etingof, Dec 16, 2004