High level SNMP

Jeremy Sanders

Hi -

I'd like to write a program which basically does a few snmpgets. I haven't
been able to find a python package which gives you a nice high-level and
simple way of doing this (like PHP has). Everything appears to be
extremely low level. All I need is SNMPv1.

Does anyone know of a simple python package for doing this? I'd rather
have something written in pure python, so that it is easily cross-platform.

Jeremy

Petri Laakso

Hi -

I'd like to write a program which basically does a few snmpgets. I haven't
been able to find a python package which gives you a nice high-level and
simple way of doing this (like PHP has). Everything appears to be
extremely low level. All I need is SNMPv1.

Does anyone know of a simple python package for doing this? I'd rather
have something written in pure python, so that it is easily cross-platform.

Hi, Jeremy

have you tested twistedsnmp?
http://twistedsnmp.sourceforge.net/

Petri

Jeremy Sanders

I looked at it, but it needs Twisted compiled and installed, which is a
pain.

The old versions of PySNMP (version 2.XX), seem to be a lot simpler to
use than later ones, so I might do that. That's if I can work out how to
convert the random string it produces to a floating point number. Somehow
it manages to gain 3 bytes over a float...

Jeremy

Keith Dart

Jeremy said:
Hi -

I'd like to write a program which basically does a few snmpgets. I haven't
been able to find a python package which gives you a nice high-level and
simple way of doing this (like PHP has). Everything appears to be
extremely low level. All I need is SNMPv1.

Does anyone know of a simple python package for doing this? I'd rather
have something written in pure python, so that it is easily cross-platform.

Jeremy

The pyNMS package at sourceforge has a complete SNMP (v1, v2c)
implementation. In pure Python, and fairly self contained. See

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pynms

There are few docs, sorry. If you want to use it and have any questions
then please let me know (I wrote it).

BTW, you can also read MIB files if you have libsmi installed. But the
pyNMS package contains a utility called mib2py that converts MIB objects
to Python, and the pyNMS package has most standard MIBS pre-compiled.
So, you don't really need libsmi to use the standard MIBs.

The name means Python Network Management System, and will become a
complete network management system with GUI and scriptability soon. ;-)

There is some support for creating XHTML reports, NMS web interface,
SNMP get/set, SNMP trap receiver, Ping/ICMP module, process management,
MIB browser, CLI construction kit, web protocols, easy email interface,
and asyncio framework. Works well with Linux or FreeBSD.

(PS. It can also answer your phone and take a message)

--
\/ \/
(O O)

Ilya Etingof

Jeremy Sanders said:
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:34:14 +0200, Petri Laakso wrote:
[skipped]

The old versions of PySNMP (version 2.XX), seem to be a lot simpler to
use than later ones, so I might do that. That's if I can work out how to

Recent versions tend to be more complex because they're following SNMPv3
model, which is complex. However, a simplistic high-level layer is
scheduled for implementation.
convert the random string it produces to a floating point number. Somehow
it manages to gain 3 bytes over a float...

Basic SNMP types don't seem to include floating point numbers. Maybe you're
decoding something defined by a TEXTUAL-CONVENTION at a MIB? The protocol
(for packing floating point value into some native SNMP type) might be
specified by the TC then.

If you provide more details I'm willing to help.

-ilya