High Memory Usage aspnet_wp.exe

Guest

Hi,

Our customer has a win2k Xeon 2.0 web server with 2GB of Ram. After a
certain time the aspnet_wp.exe consumes %70 of the Ram and comes to a
standstill. We end the process and everything is ok. We used memory profiler
to find out what is causing the problem but couldn't come to a result. I've
noticed that their is a patch for this type of cause on Microsoft's web site
but no download.

The framework is 1.1.4322

Cheers

Erkan Tatlidil

Guest

Hi,

If you go to the processModel in your machine.config file (default
location>C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG) it has a
setting...

<processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite"
shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000"
restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false"
cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="System" password="AutoGenerate"
logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05"
comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>

Now, the memoryLimit = 60 signifies the percentage of memory which could be
reached before a process recycles. There could be some memory leak that is
happening in your application. Just ensure that you have debug="true" in your
web.config file for all the applications and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Rahul Soni

Nilesh Deshpande

Erkan,

I've noticed this issue also. I'd read article on 4guysfromrolla.com about
..Net Framework not GC issues. Now, I explicitly close all
objects/connections opened and then set them to nothing. Just closing
connection is not enough.Also, try forcing GC after certain interval. In
Win2003 you can configure settings on application pool to automatically
restart aspnet_wp. On W2k only way is either restart W3 services or force
GC.

HTH

Guest

Hi,

Just wanted to add that, I was wrong about the debug="true"... You should
have it as debug="false" in all your web.config files.

Sorry for that mistake.

Guest

Hi Nilesh,

I agree partially to you, but forcing GC is never a good idea. There are
multiple issue around that and moreover, without knowing the applications, it
would be rather difficult to say that the issue is being caused by the GC not
getting kicked in.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/1100/GCI/default.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/1200/GCI2/default.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetgcbasics.asp

--
Thanks,
Rahul Soni

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guest

"=?Utf-8?B?RXJrYW4gVGF0bGlkaWw=?=" <Erkan
(e-mail address removed)> wrote in
Our customer has a win2k Xeon 2.0 web server with 2GB of Ram. After a
certain time the aspnet_wp.exe consumes %70 of the Ram and comes to a
standstill. We end the process and everything is ok. We used memory
profiler to find out what is causing the problem but couldn't come to
a result. I've noticed that their is a patch for this type of cause on
Microsoft's web site but no download.

Are you using a lot of datasets? Datasets gobble memory if the result set
is large.

Guest

Thanks for the info. Even though I force the GC and set all objects to
nothing the aspnet_wp.net process still continues to grow in the memory.

We are planing to upgrade the box to a w2k3 server this saturday. I'll see
how we go and let you know about the results.

Cheers

Erkan

Guest

Hi Stan,

We use datasets but not on all pages. The max dataset is 4 which is used
only on one page.

Cheers

Erkan

Guest

Hi Stan,

We use datasets but not on all pages. The max dataset is 4 which is
used only on one page.

Check and see if those datasets are doing a SELECT * FROM TABLE : )

Guest

Hi Stan,

Select * will be a crazy thing to do hehehe.

Anyway last night we uninstalled .net framework 1.1.4 SP 1 and reinstalled
it today we noticed that once the memory usage goes up to 800 mb the GC kicks
in and recycles it. So all day it was in a stable condition.

Cheers

Erkan