High speed web services

herbasher

Hello!

I'm wondering: I'm really not so much into heavy frameworks like
Django, because I need to build a fast, simple python based
webservice.

That is, a request comes in at a certain URL, and I want to utilize
Python to respond to that request.

Ideally, I want the script to be "cached" so it doesn't have to be re-
parsed everytime.

Phrasing this into a question:
How do I built highly available and lighting fast Python webservice?

I'm open to using any kind of server software, and all that under a
*nix based system.

thanks,
Herb

Matt Nordhoff

herbasher said:
I'm wondering: I'm really not so much into heavy frameworks like
Django, because I need to build a fast, simple python based
webservice.

That is, a request comes in at a certain URL, and I want to utilize
Python to respond to that request.

Ideally, I want the script to be "cached" so it doesn't have to be re-
parsed everytime.

Phrasing this into a question:
How do I built highly available and lighting fast Python webservice?

I'm open to using any kind of server software, and all that under a
*nix based system.

Well, you could simply use FastCGI/SCGI/mod_python/mod_wsgi without any
framework on top of it. It's not much harder than writing a CGI script.

If you're doing something with multiple actual web pages or something,
just use a framework. It'll be fast enough.

Manlio Perillo

Il Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:07:49 -0800, herbasher ha scritto:
Hello!

I'm wondering: I'm really not so much into heavy frameworks like Django,
because I need to build a fast, simple python based webservice.

That is, a request comes in at a certain URL, and I want to utilize
Python to respond to that request.

Ideally, I want the script to be "cached" so it doesn't have to be re-
parsed everytime.

Phrasing this into a question:
How do I built highly available and lighting fast Python webservice?

I'm open to using any kind of server software, and all that under a *nix
based system.

I'm developing a mod_wsgi module for Nginx (http://www.nginx.net).
Nginx is a very fast asynchronous and multiprocess web server.

The development is still in alpha status:
http://hg.mperillo.ath.cx/nginx/mod_wsgi/

If your application is not I/O bound mod_wsgi for nginx can be a good
solution, otherwise you should look for mod_wsgi for Apache.

Manlio Perillo

Jarek Zgoda

herbasher pisze:
How do I built highly available and lighting fast Python webservice?

Write optimized code and use it in conjunction with twisted.web.