High volume DRb server errors

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bryan Duxbury, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. I've run into an interesting problem using DRb as the frontend for
    publishing one of our services. We have a single Ruby process publishing
    a service via DRb. The service is consumed by 100-300 clients at any
    given time.

    When the server is first started, things seem to go fine. However, after
    a while, it appears that things get out of hand. The number of threads
    goes from ~250 (1 per client) to ~400. During this period, the server is
    still responsive to some requests, though they are quite slow.

    Soon after the number of threads tops 400, it turns a corner and just
    goes wild all the way up to 1024 threads. The rate of growth between 400
    and 1024 is very fast. Once it reaches 1024 threads, it tops out. This
    is strange because the clients are continuing to attempt to make
    requests, they just aren't being processed anymore.

    If, once the server has died, I kill all the clients, eventually, the
    thread count will reduce most of the way down, but stop short of the
    bottom. Most often, the thread count seems to reach 64, and won't go any
    lower. At this point, the ruby process is using 100% of the cpu, though
    what it is doing is anyone's guess. It will not become responsive again
    until it is restarted. There are also quite a lot of TCP sockets hanging
    out in the CLOSE_WAIT state on the server.

    I have attached two sample files I've used to recreate this error in a
    vacuum. Run test_server.rb, then do "ruby test_client.rb start 50" to
    pretty quickly max out the number of threads on the server.

    Has anyone encountered this kind of problem before?

    It's also worth noting that DRb has no way at all of protecting itself
    from too many connections - it will gladly run into the max allowed open
    file handles limit and not handle the error correctly. (I increased the
    open file handle limit on my production system because I thought that
    was the issue. It appears not to be.) Should DRb be extended to have
    more safe server features, or is it just not intended to fill that use?

    Could anyone recommend a better, lightweight, robust Ruby RPC library?
    Bryan Duxbury, Oct 18, 2007