Highest performance Python framework for API exposure?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alec Taylor, May 3, 2013.

  1. Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor Guest

    Which Python framework has benchmarked the highest?

    I am looking for a solution to initially run on Heroku or OpenShift;
    but eventually run on a pure IaaS.

    Will expose the interfaces RESTfully as JSON, purposed to act as the
    "glue" between the endpoints, databases (incl. caches) and queues.

    An additional requirement is support for serving static, downloadable
    content efficiently.

    Currently looking at Falcon, Bottle and Werkzeug.

    Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor, May 3, 2013

  2. Alec Taylor

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    Alec Taylor <> wrote:

    > Which Python framework has benchmarked the highest?
    >
    > I am looking for a solution to initially run on Heroku or OpenShift;
    > but eventually run on a pure IaaS.
    >
    > Will expose the interfaces RESTfully as JSON, purposed to act as the
    > "glue" between the endpoints, databases (incl. caches) and queues.

    Based on my experience, it doesn't matter what framework you use. All
    that's going to matter is how fast you can pump data in and out of your
    database. The overhead added by the Python front-end probably won't be
    significant.

    Pick a framework that you find easy to use and don't sweat it. Invest
    your time worrying about your database.

    > An additional requirement is support for serving static, downloadable
    > content efficiently.

    You don't want to do that with Python. You want to do that with
    something that's optimized for serving static content (such as nginx).

    Roy Smith, May 4, 2013