highlight text and right click on it for a custom context menu

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Abdalla, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Abdalla

    Abdalla Guest

    Dear All

    I have a project on making a UI of a Web page that allows users to:
    1. select any text by highlighting it, and
    2. do some action on it by right-clicking on the highlighted text and choose
    an action among those options presented by the context menu items that
    appears.
    3. send the chosen action along with the text and its attributes to the
    server as the user clicks on the desired menu item.

    Interestingly, the next stage is to make the menu items customised by the
    type of the selected text, e.g. a link or an ordinary body text.

    Does anyone know if all these can be done fully using ASP.Net at the server
    side?
    Could anyone help, please?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Abdalla, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Abdalla wrote:
    > Dear All
    >
    > I have a project on making a UI of a Web page that allows users to:
    > 1. select any text by highlighting it, and
    > 2. do some action on it by right-clicking on the highlighted text and
    > choose an action among those options presented by the context menu
    > items that appears.
    > 3. send the chosen action along with the text and its attributes to
    > the server as the user clicks on the desired menu item.
    >
    > Interestingly, the next stage is to make the menu items customised by
    > the type of the selected text, e.g. a link or an ordinary body text.
    >
    > Does anyone know if all these can be done fully using ASP.Net at the
    > server side?

    No. Server-side code can only respond to form submissions. It cannot respond
    to client events unless client-side script causes a postback to occur. In
    this case a postback may be a less-than-ideal experience for the user. You
    might want to look into AJAX (google for this term). In any case, you will
    probably get more help in a client-side scripting or dhtml newsgroup

    > Could anyone help, please?

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --