HIGHLY URGENT: Does Passport authentication pass on to web service

Lopamudra

I have 2 webservers, one running a web application and the other a web
service. The web application calls a web method of the web service internally
to get some data. This web application is a passport enabled site, hence when
the user logs on, it requests the user to log in with passport.

Both the web application and the web service use the PassportIdentity
object to retrieve the ClientPUID of the user. So we have installed the
Passport SDK on both the web servers.

My question is, If the user gets authenticated against passport in the web
application (web server1), will he be automatically authenticated in the web
service (in web server2) called by the web application. Basically I should be
able to retrieve the ClientPUID in the web service also without
reauthentication.

Please treat this as VERY VERY URGENT.

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

My guess is no, but that depends a lot on how your web service is being
called. Are you using transport level security or does your web service
take credentials in the message itself (using something like WSE2 or by
simply passing username data in the XML body)?

If you are using transport level security, then it will depend on the
credentials you have enabled for your proxy class and there is no way that
I'm aware of to supply passport credentials that way (although I could be
wrong there).

There might also be a way to pass the passport cookie to the web service in
hopes that it will accept that as authentication, but I don't know if that
will work either. It is worth a shot.

Joe K.