Highslide vs Lightbox

MC

Hi all,

I am looking to spruce up our picture gallery. I've been looking at Lightbox
and Highslide and can't really tell too much difference. Does anyone have
any preferences or dislikes? Is there a better image viewer js out there?

Thanks,
MC

David Mark

Hi all,

I am looking to spruce up our picture gallery. I've been looking at Lightbox
and Highslide and can't really tell too much difference. Does anyone have
any preferences or dislikes? Is there a better image viewer js out there?

AFAIK, "Lightbox" has become a generic term (like Kleenex.)

There's no need to compare any of the silly scripts that purport to
center images in just over 50K. You won't "spruce up" anything with
those (you will almost certainly degrade otherwise usable documents.)

MC

Hi all,

I am looking to spruce up our picture gallery. I've been looking at
Lightbox
and Highslide and can't really tell too much difference. Does anyone have
any preferences or dislikes? Is there a better image viewer js out there?

AFAIK, "Lightbox" has become a generic term (like Kleenex.)

There's no need to compare any of the silly scripts that purport to
center images in just over 50K. You won't "spruce up" anything with
those (you will almost certainly degrade otherwise usable documents.)

David,
Your comments don't really help. I asked for a comparison and you dissed
them both (without really explaing why). If you want to help, please explain
your comment and if there is a better alternative. Lightbox and Highslide
are already better than what we have now.
MC

David Mark

[snip]

This is a newsgroup and you did not quote properly. See the FAQ.
Your comments don't really help.

Do you find them unhelpful?
I asked for a comparison and you dissed

This is not a help desk.
them both (without really explaing why). If you want to help, please explain
your comment and if there is a better alternative. Lightbox and Highslide
are already better than what we have now.

What do you have now and what makes you think some fantasy script is
going to make a better alternative?

MC

Well if you just want to be a troll then just piss off...you must be one of
pointy ears minions.

David Mark

Well if you just want to be a troll then just piss off...you must be one of
pointy ears minions.

So rather than quote properly, you abstained altogether. Rather than
answering my question, you skulked off.

And your parting shot at Thomas seems out of left field. Have you
done this before?

I wish you the very best of luck in destroying your gallery. Er,
sprucing it up.

HTH :)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David said:
So rather than quote properly, you abstained altogether. Rather than
answering my question, you skulked off.

And again my killfile rule worked as expected (`[' should not be
part of the From name and MUST NOT be part of the From address.)

If only nobody would quote those idiots, too ;-)

PointedEars

David Mark

So rather than quote properly, you abstained altogether.  Rather than
answering my question, you skulked off.

And again my killfile rule worked as expected (`[' should not be
part of the From name and MUST NOT be part of the From address.)

If only nobody would quote those idiots, too ;-)

Oh well, one more twit demanding an instantaneous magical solution to
a vaguely expressed dilemma, scuttling off to escape unhelpful
"trolls." They'll likely end up in fantasy land where a fellow loser
will advocate whatever uses jQuery.

MC

Maybe you two trolls should trot off under the bridge...you seem to be in
love.

Please leave the people on the bridge alone.

MC

Hi MC,
I prefer Lightbox JS although its inconvenience is the need of using
either Prototype or JQuery libraries. So I developed my own Javascript
code emulating the LightBox model. Take a look at:
http://www.jrfaq.com.br/lightbox.htm

Cheers,
Joao Rodrigues (JR)

Joao,
Muinta bom photo! Eu amo Rio! I have taken this exact photo myself and one
of the bay from the opposite side on Pao? Sugarloaf? mountain.

I will take a look at your code. I am not crazy about including Prototype or
JQuery either. I dislike bloated libraries.

Ciao,
MC
PS. I should be back in Rio in June as I have family there. I really miss
it. Do you have Orkut?

David Mark

Hi MC,
I prefer Lightbox JS although its inconvenience is the need of using
either Prototype or JQuery libraries.

Yes, that is a decided inconvenience. Take the story of "Pink Pig":

http://groups.google.com/group/comp...376a2bad455/59b908cc8f7aa5e3#59b908cc8f7aa5e3

Was sure that his/her problem was related to the "strangeness" of
Javascript, evidenced by this quote:

"I do not look down my nose at people who are trying to clean up the
mess created by the designers of JS -- I wish them well."

Fast forward nine months:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev/browse_thread/thread/4cb0a86f563ca0cf

But I digress.
So I developed my own Javascript
code emulating the LightBox model. Take a look at:http://www.jrfaq.com.br/lightbox.htm

I've got to wonder why you think you need a "LightBox", but at least
you tried. Unfortunately:

/*
This code creates some layers (overlay, lightbox, etc.) to show an
image,
while fading the document viewport.

Code was built upon Lightbox JS, with many modifications by
Joao Rodrigues for www.jrfaq.com.br - Jan2009.
$version 0.3 - 2009-03-30

Inspired by the work of John Resig (jspro.org/files/code/09.zip),
Peter-Paul Koch (quirksmode.org) and Lokesh Dhakar, creator of
Lightbox JS: Fullsize Image Overlays
- http://huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox

Three blind mice.

Dependencies: lightbox.css; ajax_circle1.gif; and close_20x20.gif

*/
function jrLightBoxObj() {
this.init();
}

Your list of original inspirations left out Sam Stephenson. Resig is
tantamount to Shemp.

jrLightBoxObj.prototype = {

[snip]

Sorry, no time. Just use HTML, at least until you learn the basics of
browser scripting (and you cannot learn these basics from Resig and
PPK.)

JR

Hi David,
Ha ha ha! I was sure you would condemn the praise to John Resig and
PPK in the code comments.

I'm afraid someday you will materialize your hatred in a massacre
during a JQuery Group's meeting (just kidding).

Man, have a beer, turn a cool music on and chill out!

A big hug,
João Rodrigues

David Mark

Hi David,
Ha ha ha! I was sure you would condemn the praise to John Resig and
PPK in the code comments.

I saw no praise. The implication that those stooges inspired your
code is not exactly flattery.
I'm afraid someday you will materialize your hatred in a massacre
during a JQuery Group's meeting (just kidding).

Hatred? I "hate" dandelions in my lawn in the same way. What has
materialized is that they had a meeting a year back that went
something like:

"Guys, you know all of that furious twiddling with UA detection that
we've been keeping up for the last few years? It was all a complete
waste of time. Turns out we *were* full of shit. Yeah, I know. The
plan is to re-invent jQuery's browser detection using object
inferences, adding random changes to everything else and releasing
just prior to IE8. Just act natural and it will look like Microsoft
ruined everything."

[snip]

RobG

Hi all,

I am looking to spruce up our picture gallery. I've been looking at Lightbox
and Highslide and can't really tell too much difference. Does anyone have
any preferences or dislikes? Is there a better image viewer js out there?

You may get answers from a jQuery or Prototype.js group. I dislike the
"lightbox" effect - it is slow and annoying, so I don't use it, nor do
I frequent sites that use similar effects.

If you want to link to a bigger image, do it. Let users open it in a
different tab or window if they want and save yourself a lot of grief
trying to support different browsers and annoying visitors.

Gnarlodious

As a user, I completely agree. However as a webmaster I was forced to
make the page harder to use. Each page load was hitting me with 10MB,
and the page was getting tremendously popular. Not wanting to go into
bandwidth overtime, I had to put obstacles in the way of viewing the
high-quality photos. So the modal window is all about forcing the user
to work, and therefore reducing the bandwidth.

-- Gnarlie

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Gnarlodious said:
As a user, I completely agree. However as a webmaster I was forced to
make the page harder to use. Each page load was hitting me with 10MB,
and the page was getting tremendously popular. Not wanting to go into
bandwidth overtime, I had to put obstacles in the way of viewing the
high-quality photos. So the modal window is all about forcing the user
to work, and therefore reducing the bandwidth.

For this you let the user download 13 KiB more than they would have had to
download if you had not "put the obstacle in the way". Every time the
document is loaded and the script is not cached.

PointedEars