hints for find-as-you-type hints

Discussion in 'Java' started by cbossens73@yahoo.fr, Apr 8, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    I tried googling a bit but didn't find anything yet...

    I want to offer a "find-as-you-type" list when the user
    enters text in a Swing application.

    I already have the algorithm finding the suggestions (using
    several techniques not entirely dissimilar to spell checking
    algorithms, including a self-coded double-metaphone engine,
    algorithms specific to the kind of input my application is
    expecting from the user, etc.)

    But my question is really about what Swing component I should
    use so that it works nicely and it's not too intrusive.

    Pro... (say in a JTextField)
    Programmer in ???
    Professor in ???
    Promotion in ???

    The user should be able to use the up and down arrow to
    navigate through the suggestions, as well as click using
    the mouse on one of them.

    What would be a good Swing component to use for that?

    , Apr 8, 2009

  2. Albert Guest

    Sabine Dinis Blochberger a écrit :
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I want to offer a "find-as-you-type" list when the user
    >> enters text in a Swing application.
    >>
    >> But my question is really about what Swing component I should
    >> use so that it works nicely and it's not too intrusive.
    >>
    >> Pro... (say in a JTextField)
    >> Programmer in ???
    >> Professor in ???
    >> Promotion in ???
    >>
    >> The user should be able to use the up and down arrow to
    >> navigate through the suggestions, as well as click using
    >> the mouse on one of them.
    >>
    >> What would be a good Swing component to use for that?
    >>

    > A JList (JComboBox uses it aswell).

    I would say a JList in a JWindow

    Albert, Apr 8, 2009

    On Apr 8, 12:06 pm, Albert <> wrote:
    > Sabine Dinis Blochberger a crit :
    >

    > > wrote:

    > >> I want to offer a "find-as-you-type" list when the user
    > >> enters text in a Swing application.

    > >> But my question is really about what Swing component I should
    > >> use so that it works nicely and it's not too intrusive.

    > >> Pro... (say in a JTextField)
    > >> Programmer in ???
    > >> Professor in ???
    > >> Promotion in ???

    > >> The user should be able to use the up and down arrow to
    > >> navigate through the suggestions, as well as click using
    > >> the mouse on one of them.

    > >> What would be a good Swing component to use for that?

    > > A JList (JComboBox uses it aswell).

    > I would say a JList in a JWindow

    Ok, thanks a lot to both of you...

    Two people suggesting JList so I'll be trying that.

    Thanks,

    Charles

    , Apr 8, 2009