historic grail python browser "semi-recovered"

lkcl

um, please don't ask me why but i found grail, the python-based web
browser, and have managed to hack it into submission sufficiently to
view e.g. http://www.google.co.uk. out of sheer apathy i happened to
have python2.4 still installed which was the only way i could get it
to run without having to rewrite regex expressions (which i don't
understand).

if anyone else would be interested in resurrecting this historic web
browser, just for fits and giggles, please let me know.

l.

lkcl

if anyone else would be interested in resurrecting this historic

... "historic, archaic, dinosaur-driven, vastly-overrated but one-of-
a-kind and without precedent before or since" web browser...

l.

p.s. except for paul bonser's "pybrowser" which he's delayed working
on, despite a heck of a lot of groundwork.

Thomas Jollans

um, please don't ask me why but i found grail, the python-based web
browser, and have managed to hack it into submission sufficiently to
view e.g. http://www.google.co.uk. out of sheer apathy i happened to
have python2.4 still installed which was the only way i could get it
to run without having to rewrite regex expressions (which i don't
understand).

if anyone else would be interested in resurrecting this historic web
browser, just for fits and giggles, please let me know.

l.

give us a copy then, just for the laughs. ^^ Post it on bitbucket,
maybe? (or send me a copy and I'll do it)

rantingrick

um, please don't ask me why but i found grail, the python-based web
browser, and have managed to hack it into submission sufficiently to
view e.g.http://www.google.co.uk.  out of sheer apathy i happened to
have python2.4 still installed which was the only way i could get it
to run without having to rewrite regex expressions (which i don't
understand).

if anyone else would be interested in resurrecting this historic web
browser, just for fits and giggles, please let me know.

Hi lkcl,

My current conquest to bring a new (or fix the current GUI) in
Python's stdlib is receiving much resistance. I many need a project to
convince my opponents of my worth. Tell you what i do, send me a text
file with a pathname and all the line numbers that have broken regexs
using a common sep --space is fine for me-- and i'll fix them for you.
Here is a sample...

script1 0 21 203
script2 36 37 300 322

lkcl

Hi lkcl,

My current conquest to bring a new (or fix the current GUI) in
Python's stdlib is receiving much resistance. I many need a project to
convince my opponents of my worth. Tell you what i do, send me a text
file with a pathname and all the line numbers that have broken regexs
using a common sep --space is fine for me-- and i'll fix them for you.

yegods - i'm going to have to create a python script to do that :)
shouldn't take me oooo 30 mins. i'll also upload the source of grail
to github.com or summink, first.

l.

lkcl

Hi lkcl,

My current conquest to bring a new (or fix the current GUI) in
Python's stdlib is receiving much resistance. I many need a project to
convince my opponents of my worth. Tell you what i do, send me a text
file with a pathname and all the line numbers that have broken regexs
using a common sep --space is fine for me-- and i'll fix them for you.
Here is a sample...

ok i've committed a file REGEX.CONVERSIONS.REQUIRED into the git
repository,
http://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser
git://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser.git

i used "grep -n" so it's filename:lineno: {ignore the actual stuff}

unfortunately, SGMLLexer.py contains some _vast_ regexs spanning 5-6
lines, which means that a simple grep ain't gonna cut it. there's a
batch of regex's spanning from line 650 to line 699 and a few more
besides.

of course, it has to be borne in mind that this code was written for
python 1.5 initially, at a time when python xml/sax/dom/sgml code
probably didn't exist.

but leaving aside the fact that it all needs to be ripped up and
modernised i'm more concerned about getting these 35,000 lines of code
operational, doing as small transitions as possible.

l.

MRAB

lkcl said:
ok i've committed a file REGEX.CONVERSIONS.REQUIRED into the git
repository,
http://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser
git://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser.git

i used "grep -n" so it's filename:lineno: {ignore the actual stuff}

unfortunately, SGMLLexer.py contains some _vast_ regexs spanning 5-6
lines, which means that a simple grep ain't gonna cut it. there's a
batch of regex's spanning from line 650 to line 699 and a few more
besides.

of course, it has to be borne in mind that this code was written for
python 1.5 initially, at a time when python xml/sax/dom/sgml code
probably didn't exist.

but leaving aside the fact that it all needs to be ripped up and
modernised i'm more concerned about getting these 35,000 lines of code
operational, doing as small transitions as possible.
The regex module was called 'regex'. I see that the name 're' is used as
a name in the code.

As for the regexes themselves, the equivalents for the current 're'
module are:

regex re
\( (
\) )
\| |
( \(
) \)
| \)
casefold IGNORECASE
regex.match(...) >= 0 re.match(...)

lkcl

The regex module was called 'regex'.

yes. there's a python module in 2.4 called reconvert.py which can
"understand" and convert _most_ regex expressions to re.
I see that the name 're' is used as
a name in the code.

bizarre, isn't it?