Historical Data

philippon

Hello

I am quite new to Java.

The program that I would like to build is studying time series, which
means that I deal with dates, and a fairly large amount of data that
are stored in ".dat" files.
I have started programming. Each time I create an object, I actually
load the entire historical data, the historical data being an attibute
of the object. So in my constructor, I load the historical data for
the object as soon as it is created, so that it is readily available.
The problem is that I study a lot of time series and it seems to be
too much data to load. Also, I think it is a bit stupid to store
everything as I never need the whole data at one time, only part of
it.

What is the solution to that ? Build a program that opens the file to
pick the right amount of historical data in the file when needed for a
calculation ? Shall I use a database to store the data so that the
access is quicker than with a ".dat" file ? Shall I write the
intermediray results of the calculation I run on the time series in a
file (or database) and access it afterward ?

If you have some code somewhere that deal with time series analysis,
and/or if you have a few minutes to give me your opinion, I would be
very grateful.

Many thanks

Paul Lutus

philippon said:
Hello

I am quite new to Java.

The program that I would like to build is studying time series, which
means that I deal with dates, and a fairly large amount of data that
are stored in ".dat" files.
I have started programming. Each time I create an object, I actually
load the entire historical data, the historical data being an attibute
of the object. So in my constructor, I load the historical data for
the object as soon as it is created, so that it is readily available.
The problem is that I study a lot of time series and it seems to be
too much data to load. Also, I think it is a bit stupid to store
everything as I never need the whole data at one time, only part of
it.

What is the solution to that ?

Write a program that only loads the data you need. Use a database to filter
out the extraneous fields and speed up access as well. More or less as you
suggest in your own post.

/ ...
If you have some code somewhere that deal with time series analysis,

We need to see your code, and you have not said what kind of analysis you
are doing.

Michael Borgwardt

It definitely sounds as if storing the data in a database instead of
a file would be exactly the right thing to do.