Historical Data

Discussion in 'Java' started by philippon, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. philippon

    philippon Guest

    Hello

    I am quite new to Java.

    The program that I would like to build is studying time series, which
    means that I deal with dates, and a fairly large amount of data that
    are stored in ".dat" files.
    I have started programming. Each time I create an object, I actually
    load the entire historical data, the historical data being an attibute
    of the object. So in my constructor, I load the historical data for
    the object as soon as it is created, so that it is readily available.
    The problem is that I study a lot of time series and it seems to be
    too much data to load. Also, I think it is a bit stupid to store
    everything as I never need the whole data at one time, only part of
    it.

    What is the solution to that ? Build a program that opens the file to
    pick the right amount of historical data in the file when needed for a
    calculation ? Shall I use a database to store the data so that the
    access is quicker than with a ".dat" file ? Shall I write the
    intermediray results of the calculation I run on the time series in a
    file (or database) and access it afterward ?

    If you have some code somewhere that deal with time series analysis,
    and/or if you have a few minutes to give me your opinion, I would be
    very grateful.

    Many thanks

    philippon, Oct 15, 2004

  2. philippon

    Paul Lutus Guest

    philippon wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I am quite new to Java.
    >
    > The program that I would like to build is studying time series, which
    > means that I deal with dates, and a fairly large amount of data that
    > are stored in ".dat" files.
    > I have started programming. Each time I create an object, I actually
    > load the entire historical data, the historical data being an attibute
    > of the object. So in my constructor, I load the historical data for
    > the object as soon as it is created, so that it is readily available.
    > The problem is that I study a lot of time series and it seems to be
    > too much data to load. Also, I think it is a bit stupid to store
    > everything as I never need the whole data at one time, only part of
    > it.
    >
    > What is the solution to that ?

    Write a program that only loads the data you need. Use a database to filter
    out the extraneous fields and speed up access as well. More or less as you
    suggest in your own post.

    / ...

    > If you have some code somewhere that deal with time series analysis,

    We need to see your code, and you have not said what kind of analysis you
    are doing.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Oct 15, 2004

  3. It definitely sounds as if storing the data in a database instead of
    a file would be exactly the right thing to do.

    Michael Borgwardt, Oct 15, 2004