    block of code.

    Anyone can point me to some historical steps of C (with a timeline if
    possible...)?
    Sensei, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Sensei

    Artie Gold Guest

    Sensei wrote:
    > Hi. I was wondering about the first C.
    >
    > Once, I knew that all the variables were to be as the first part of a
    > block of code.
    >
    > Anyone can point me to some historical steps of C (with a timeline if
    > possible...)?

    GIYF! (Try 'history of C language')

    HTH,
    --ag

    --
    Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas
    http://www.cafepress.com/goldsays
    Artie Gold, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Sensei

    Sensei Guest

    Artie Gold wrote:
    > GIYF! (Try 'history of C language')

    Sorry, but I couldn't find what I wanted... that's why I posted here :)

    I'm interested in the place where variables were meant to be in early C,
    and of course, its relation with assembly code...
    Sensei, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Sensei

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Sensei wrote:

    > Artie Gold wrote:
    >> GIYF! (Try 'history of C language')

    > Sorry, but I couldn't find what I wanted... that's why I posted here :)
    >
    > I'm interested in the place where variables were meant to be in early C,
    > and of course, its relation with assembly code...

    C grew from B which grew from BCPL; any relationship with assembly
    seems rather indirect.

    BCPL allows variable declarations at the head of blocks (onlyish),
    as C90 does.

    BCPL also has mutually recursive definitions without need for
    any kind of `forward` declaration, as C does not.

    [And it has the "global vector", which fortunately didn't survive
    the journey.]

    --
    Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
    It's called *extreme* programming, not *stupid* programming.
    Chris Dollin, Jul 7, 2005