history.go('url') not working in IE7

John Kotuby

Hi all,

Just a little javascript problem here. All the documentation I have seen,
besides showing numerics in the example, such as in history.go(-1), also
mention that if a part of the URL is used then the browser will go to the
nearest history entry with that string in the name of the URL.

Now that I come to think of it, there is no mention as to whether that means
forward or backward. I just assumed backward.

In IE7 the history.go(-1) or history.go(-2) works just fine.

When I replace that syntax with history.go('mysite.com/test.aspx'), which is
where history.go(-1) takes me, and I follow the exact same navigation steps
as before when I click the button that fires the JS, the window just sits at
its current url.

Anyone have an idea what I might be doing wrong?

BTW... I have a reason for using history.go. There may be a better way for
what I am trying to accomplish, but for now I need to know why this
documented feature is not working.

Since I am working with ASP.NET 2.0 and VB in VS2005, I am posting here
instead of a JavaScript group somewhere.

Thanks for any help.

Hans Kesting

John Kotuby presented the following explanation :
[...]

MSDN specifies "A string indicates an exact URL in the History list."
So a substring would not work.

Hans Kesting

John Kotuby

Thank you Hans,
I have been looking at JavaScript documentation and completely ignoring
JScript. I have long held the opinion that JScript was exceedingly
proprietary in its syntax and therefore have been avoiding it in an effort
to stick with ECMA standards. Therefore it never really crossed my mind to
search MSDN for any JScript articles.

However, I am working with IE7 and ASP.NET. so maybe proprietary is poking
it's ugly head up in spite of my efforts, or maybe I just misinterpreted
other javascript articles, which seemed to indicate that a substring would
achieve the desired result.
Code:
<INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Go" onClick="history.go('home.newco.com')">
Explanation:
In this example, a button is created, which when pressed, loads the nearest
History entry that contains the string "home.newco.com".