History is lost when redirecting to a new page

Guest

Hello,

I have a couple of web apps built using C# in VS2008 (.NET 2.0) and in
some circumstances they exhibit an anoying feature. If I start in appA
and follow a link to appB I can still see the history and navigate
back if I choose to do so but, whilst in appB if I press a button to
redirect back to itself only returning different data the history is
lost and I can no longer navigate back to appA.

No JavaScript is used in the applications, so what could be clearing
the clients history in appB?

Any suggestions?

Guest

More info...

The problem is not due to the redirection as I can simulate the
problem on the same site. In this revised scenario I start in appA and
preview some data. I then change my parameters (fields) and preview
another set of data and the recent history (back/forward buttons) is
lost.

I suspect that this is something to do with the volume of data
returned in one of my returned data sources.

Are there any known issues with datasource size and sessions? I'm
aware of a viewstate limit (default 4MB) but I don't think this
problem is related to that.

Any suggestions?

Guest

More info...

The problem is not due to the redirection as I can simulate the
problem on the same site. In this revised scenario I start in appA and
preview some data. I then change my parameters (fields) and preview
another set of data and the recent history (back/forward buttons) is
lost.

I suspect that this is something to do with the volume of data
returned in one of my returned data sources.

Are there any known issues with datasource size and sessions? I'm
aware of a viewstate limit (default 4MB) but I don't think this
problem is related to that.

Any suggestions?

How do you go through the pages, using a postback?

Look at the following article, might be helpful
http://codebetter.com/blogs/peter.van.ooijen/archive/2005/07/19/129384.aspx

Guest

How do you go through the pages, using a postback?

Look at the following article, might be helpfulhttp://codebetter.com/blogs/peter.van.ooijen/archive/2005/07/19/12938...- Hide quoted text -

Yeap, a postback is called when the buttons are pressed. If necessary
this causes a response.redirect, but i've noted that the problem still
occurrs even if I postback to the same page.

From reading around the symptoms sound like the users session is being
restarted. I can see that the same session cookie is being passed to
the server, but the missing history indicates that the session has
been cleared.

Any thoughts on what could clear the session?

Mike

Guest

After much head scratching and bemusement I discovered that if I
turned of fthe view state for the dataGrid and just repopulated it
each time then my problem was not longer evident. This isn't to say
that its fixed the problem as I still don't know what the cause of the
error was, but for the moment I can use the site and keep my history.