Home Page & Internet Explorer - Virus

Trevor

I have been affected by one of those annoying viruses which has set my
home page to something unwanted. Everytime I reset it it works for
that SESSION, but when I restart, the unwanted page returns (a spam
for a little known search engine).

Can I remove the unwanted home page on a permanent basis?

rf

Trevor said:
I have been affected by one of those annoying viruses which has set my
home page to something unwanted. Everytime I reset it it works for
that SESSION, but when I restart, the unwanted page returns (a spam
for a little known search engine).

Can I remove the unwanted home page on a permanent basis?

Removing the virus would be a start.

Cheers
Richard.

Wÿrm

I have been affected by one of those annoying viruses which has set my
home page to something unwanted. Everytime I reset it it works for
that SESSION, but when I restart, the unwanted page returns (a spam
for a little known search engine).

Can I remove the unwanted home page on a permanent basis?

Sounds like some spyware stuff...

Here's simple list what to DO to get rid of usual spyware etc...

1. Update your virus killer (you DO have one, no? If no, GET one) and RUN
it...

2. Download and UPDATE AdAware (www.lavasoft.de) and run it

3. Download and UPDATE Spybot Seek & Destroy (http://security.kolla.de) and
run it

4. Download and UPDATE Spywareblaster
http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html and RUN it to immunize
your system from certain spyware threats.

5. If you do not have firewall, GET ONE. Usually good thing so you can see
outbound connections. Always good to know what programs "call out" from
system.

Trevor

rf said:
Removing the virus would be a start.

Cheers
Richard.

I have just done this, and managed to lose half the PC in the process.
I have re-installed almost everything.

Removing viruses is not very easy.

Of course, my home page now works.

Leif K-Brooks

Trevor said:
I have just done this, and managed to lose half the PC in the process.
I have re-installed almost everything.

Removing viruses is not very easy.

Of course, my home page now works.

Now, switch to a good browser (Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, or Opera) so
it won't happen again.

Richard

Trevor! said:
I have been affected by one of those annoying viruses which has set my
home page to something unwanted. Everytime I reset it it works for
that SESSION, but when I restart, the unwanted page returns (a spam
for a little known search engine).
Can I remove the unwanted home page on a permanent basis?

Generally they make an entry into the reigstry.
Open the registry and search for "homepage" or the domain name.
Delete all entries found. For the homepage item, you can enter what ever you
like.

in IE Tools/options/advanced tab, uncheck the item that says "Automatic
install..........".
This is the # 1 reason why people get such things is because they do not
take control.

Also install a good virus detection protection program like AVG and run it
constantly.

Whitecrest

Now, switch to a good browser (Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, or Opera) so
it won't happen again.

Yea, but now 90% of the sites out there no longer work right, so not
much of a solution...

Isofarro

Whitecrest said:
Yea, but now 90% of the sites out there no longer work right,

That's a strawman argument. Where are the facts to back up your statement?

Leif K-Brooks

Whitecrest said:
Yea, but now 90% of the sites out there no longer work right, so not
much of a solution...

Wow, never knew that. Guess I must be visiting the other 10% about 99%
of the time.

Steven

Whitecrest said:
Yea, but now 90% of the sites out there no longer work right, so not
much of a solution...

I've been using Mozilla Firebird for several months now, and the number of
problem-sites seems to be less than under Internet Exploder.

Whitecrest

That's a strawman argument. Where are the facts to back up your statement?

You and your silly straw man argument. That statement is all you have
isn't it?

Well, it is a waste of time arguing with you Iso, because we disagree
with the fundamentals. We have not agreed with each other in 2 years,
and it is not likely we will in the next 2. No point in continuing.

Good try though....

Whitecrest

I've been using Mozilla Firebird for several months now, and the number of
problem-sites seems to be less than under Internet Exploder.

Good for you, I have experienced the exact opposite. Must be the sites
we go to eh? Pretty big web out there.

Isofarro

Whitecrest said:
You and your silly straw man argument. That statement is all you have
isn't it?

I note your lack of a posted reference in reply. That confirms my statement.

Chris Morris

Whitecrest said:
(e-mail address removed) says...

Yea, but now 90% of the sites out there no longer work right, so not
much of a solution...

I'd say much less than 90%. Actually, I was trying to _find_ a major
corporate site that didn't work in recent Mozilla recently, and all
the ones that didn't work the last time I looked had been sorted out.

Whitecrest

I note your lack of a posted reference in reply. That confirms my statement.

No it confirms that your straw man argument line is old and boring and
your pack answer for anything that disagrees with you. So there is no
point in continuing.

Iso, we have been here many times before. Why do you insist in trying
to go there again? Are you trolling now?

Isofarro

Whitecrest said:
No it confirms that your straw man argument line is old and boring and
your pack answer for anything that disagrees with you.

The burden of proof is on you, and you've failed.

Wÿrm

No it confirms that your straw man argument line is old and boring and
your pack answer for anything that disagrees with you. So there is no
point in continuing.

you made arguement about 90% of sites being NOTworking...

Now, switch to a good browser (Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, or Opera) so
it won't happen again.

Yea, but now 90% of the sites out there no longer work right, so not
much of a solution...

<SNIP ENDS>

if you make claim like you did just few lines up, provide proof that backs
it up... like 90 sites that do not work against 10 working ones..

or admit you pulled that number from your hat :)

NO offence. I use IE and Opera. Mainly Opera. IE just to see if my css works
with it. and I haven't run THAT huge amount (9 sites of 10 as you claim)
that would not work :) usually most do work...

Kris

No it confirms that your straw man argument line is old and boring and
your pack answer for anything that disagrees with you. So there is no
point in continuing.

you made arguement about 90% of sites being NOTworking...[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend is using Mozilla Firebird for 6 months now, without prior
knowledge or bias, just because IE kept crashing.

Judging her complaints, I'd say less than 10% out there do not work. On
the other hand, 100% of all the sites who try to force popup windows on
her now suddenly _do_ work.
Yea, but now 90% of the sites out there no longer work right, so not
much of a solution...

Just try it. Besides, there is always a working alternative to a site
that does not work.