Hooking into another process?

josh.jordan

Hi,

I am looking for starting point for hooking into another process and
grabbing information about its events and controls.

Specifically, I am looking to develop a very small-scope, limited
usage tool that will display some information about text that is
double clicked on in another process. We have a custom development
environment that cannot display object data (for instance, it cannot
"Go to definition" of a function, as Eclipse can) for custom language
(non-Java) constructs. I simply want to be able to manually detect
that the user has double clicked on, say "DBDialogAction()", and
display method information such as parameters, in my own program.

I apologize for being vague, but I'm not quite sure what this is
called, or even what I should search, in order to find the starting
point for researching this myself.

Josh

Roedy Green

I am looking for starting point for hooking into another process and
grabbing information about its events and controls.

If the other process co-operates, it might open a socket for reporting
stats.

If the mother spawns child, you can communicate via System.out and
System.in. see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/exec.html

Other than that, I think you need something platform dependent + jni.