Hoq to send a message/mail to particular ip

Veera Sundaravel

Hello everybody !

I'm newbie to ruby. Is there anyway to send a message or mail to
particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

Regards,
Veeraa.

Phillip Gawlowski

Veera said:
Hello everybody !

I'm newbie to ruby. Is there anyway to send a message or mail to
particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

Not emails. email addresses aren't linked to IPs. Your only chance is,
if it is a UNIX, talk is installed, and accessible for you. Otherwise
you need to develop a client/server solution (SSH and telnet are
possibilities, too, if you have access to them on your recipient).

Usually, one uses IPs to talk to machines, and emails to talk to people. ;)

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Rule of Open-Source Programming #4:

If you don't work on your project, chances are that no one will.

Robert Klemme

I'm newbie to ruby. Is there anyway to send a message or mail to
particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

What exactly do you mean by this? Can you elaborate a bit more?

Kind regards

robert

Veera Sundaravel

Robert said:
What exactly do you mean by this? Can you elaborate a bit more?

Kind regards

robert

Hi,

For example if an user registered his information in my application with
his static ip, then here i want to send a message when the user is in
internet connection. ( but he dont need to login my application).

Regards,
Veeraa.

Dan Zwell

Hi,

If you want a general solution that will work for anybody, you are out
of luck. For example, if the person is on a corporate network or behind
any router (and is thus firewalled), you can't contact them by IP at
all. Further, there is no way to send an email to a person by knowing
their IP. You must know what their email address is, both username and
e-mail host. However, if you can make some assumptions about your users,
you might be able to think of something.

I think in the past, you might have been able to use Windows Messenger
to send messages to arbitrary IP addresses (not sure how it worked, but
it really annoyed me), but I assume that's patched in recent service
packs of Windows, and it's not a reliable way to communicate because
people turn that service off (if they can).

Someone else mentioned the unix program "talk", but I don't think that
is commonly used. I would give up on an automatic solution--if you need
to do this, you probably need to make them log into your site, and get
their email addresses when they first sign up.

Good luck,
Dan

Robert Klemme

For example if an user registered his information in my application with
his static ip, then here i want to send a message when the user is in
internet connection. ( but he dont need to login my application).

So we have two tasks here

1. Detect that someone is online.

2. Send a message.

ad 1) as Dan pointed out there is no general way that would reliably work.

ad 2) you do not state what kind of message is to be send. But
considering futility of 1 it's probably not worth digging deeper into 2
either.

Kind regards

robert