    particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

    Regards,
    Veeraa.

    Veera Sundaravel, Apr 26, 2007

  2. Veera Sundaravel wrote:
    > Hello everybody !
    >
    > I'm newbie to ruby. Is there anyway to send a message or mail to
    > particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

    Not emails. email addresses aren't linked to IPs. Your only chance is,
    if it is a UNIX, talk is installed, and accessible for you. Otherwise
    you need to develop a client/server solution (SSH and telnet are
    possibilities, too, if you have access to them on your recipient).

    Usually, one uses IPs to talk to machines, and emails to talk to people. ;)

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
    http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #4:

    If you don't work on your project, chances are that no one will.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Apr 26, 2007

  3. On 26.04.2007 03:17, Veera Sundaravel wrote:
    > I'm newbie to ruby. Is there anyway to send a message or mail to
    > particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

    What exactly do you mean by this? Can you elaborate a bit more?

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Apr 26, 2007
  4. Re: How to send a message/mail to particular ip

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > On 26.04.2007 03:17, Veera Sundaravel wrote:
    >> I'm newbie to ruby. Is there anyway to send a message or mail to
    >> particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

    > What exactly do you mean by this? Can you elaborate a bit more?
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > robert

    Hi,

    For example if an user registered his information in my application with
    his static ip, then here i want to send a message when the user is in
    internet connection. ( but he dont need to login my application).

    Regards,
    Veeraa.

    Veera Sundaravel, Apr 26, 2007
  5. Veera Sundaravel

    Dan Zwell Guest

    Re: How to send a message/mail to particular ip

    Hi,

    If you want a general solution that will work for anybody, you are out
    of luck. For example, if the person is on a corporate network or behind
    any router (and is thus firewalled), you can't contact them by IP at
    all. Further, there is no way to send an email to a person by knowing
    their IP. You must know what their email address is, both username and
    e-mail host. However, if you can make some assumptions about your users,
    you might be able to think of something.

    I think in the past, you might have been able to use Windows Messenger
    to send messages to arbitrary IP addresses (not sure how it worked, but
    it really annoyed me), but I assume that's patched in recent service
    packs of Windows, and it's not a reliable way to communicate because
    people turn that service off (if they can).

    Someone else mentioned the unix program "talk", but I don't think that
    is commonly used. I would give up on an automatic solution--if you need
    to do this, you probably need to make them log into your site, and get
    their email addresses when they first sign up.

    Good luck,
    Dan

    Dan Zwell, Apr 26, 2007
  6. Re: How to send a message/mail to particular ip

    On 26.04.2007 19:44, Veera Sundaravel wrote:
    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    >> On 26.04.2007 03:17, Veera Sundaravel wrote:
    >>> I'm newbie to ruby. Is there anyway to send a message or mail to
    >>> particular available ip. Please give some suggestion.

    >> What exactly do you mean by this? Can you elaborate a bit more?

    > For example if an user registered his information in my application with
    > his static ip, then here i want to send a message when the user is in
    > internet connection. ( but he dont need to login my application).

    So we have two tasks here

    1. Detect that someone is online.

    2. Send a message.

    ad 1) as Dan pointed out there is no general way that would reliably work.

    ad 2) you do not state what kind of message is to be send. But
    considering futility of 1 it's probably not worth digging deeper into 2
    either.

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Apr 27, 2007