Horizontal Scroll Bars in IE6

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andrew, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi,

    I am having immense frustration with 2 pages that demonstrate
    horizontal scroll bars in Internet Explorer 6. The pages are:

    http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancient_greek.html
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/web_publishing.html

    (BTW the content is not complete on both pages!) The culprits appear
    to be some div boxes in the main #Content box that I am using to
    enclose material. With these removed the scroll bar vanishes.

    The offending boxes are currently:

    ..codebox {
    border:1px dashed black;
    color:#000000; background:#F0F0F0;
    margin: .5em .5em 1em 1em;
    padding:.75em;
    }

    #homerbox {
    border: 1px solid black;
    color:black; background:#FFFFE6 url(images/red_pin.gif)
    no-repeat top right;
    margin: .5em 1em;
    padding: 0em .75em;
    }
    Any help will be gratefully received!

    Andrew.
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/

    Andrew, Aug 1, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:00:46 +1000, Andrew
    <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am having immense frustration with 2 pages that demonstrate
    >horizontal scroll bars in Internet Explorer 6. The pages are:
    >
    >http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancient_greek.html
    >http://www.andrews-corner.org/web_publishing.html
    >
    >(BTW the content is not complete on both pages!) The culprits appear
    >to be some div boxes in the main #Content box that I am using to
    >enclose material. With these removed the scroll bar vanishes.
    >
    >The offending boxes are currently:
    >
    >.codebox {
    > border:1px dashed black;
    > color:#000000; background:#F0F0F0;
    > margin: .5em .5em 1em 1em;
    > padding:.75em;
    >}
    >
    >#homerbox {
    > border: 1px solid black;
    > color:black; background:#FFFFE6 url(images/red_pin.gif)
    >no-repeat top right;
    > margin: .5em 1em;
    > padding: 0em .75em;
    > }
    >Any help will be gratefully received!
    >
    > Andrew.

    Hi Andrew :)

    Ok so on closer examination it seems to be a width issue of the
    boxes. I had assumed if I left the width of the divs out they would
    simply expand to fill the containing div?

    Sod it, I am taking the dog for a walk!!!

    Andrew.
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/

    Andrew, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Andrew wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:00:46 +1000, Andrew
    > <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am having immense frustration with 2 pages that demonstrate
    >>horizontal scroll bars in Internet Explorer 6. The pages are:
    >>
    >>http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancient_greek.html
    >>http://www.andrews-corner.org/web_publishing.html
    >>
    >>(BTW the content is not complete on both pages!) The culprits appear
    >>to be some div boxes in the main #Content box that I am using to
    >>enclose material. With these removed the scroll bar vanishes.
    >>
    >>The offending boxes are currently: <snip>

    > Hi Andrew :)

    It's ok if you talk to yourself...

    > Ok so on closer examination it seems to be a width issue of the
    > boxes. I had assumed if I left the width of the divs out they would
    > simply expand to fill the containing div?

    A quick glance ... try removing the border-bottom from the <h1> and <h2>
    to see if the IE scrollbars go away.

    > Sod it, I am taking the dog for a walk!!!

    Fetch him a bone.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Andrew

    BootNic Guest

    > "Andrew" <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having immense frustration with 2 pages that demonstrate
    > horizontal scroll bars in Internet Explorer 6. The pages are:
    >
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancient_greek.html
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org/web_publishing.html
    >
    > (BTW the content is not complete on both pages!) The culprits appear
    > to be some div boxes in the main #Content box that I am using to
    > enclose material. With these removed the scroll bar vanishes.
    >
    > The offending boxes are currently:
    >
    > .codebox {
    > border:1px dashed black;
    > color:#000000; background:#F0F0F0;
    > margin: .5em .5em 1em 1em;
    > padding:.75em;
    > }
    >
    > #homerbox {
    > border: 1px solid black;
    > color:black; background:#FFFFE6 url(images/red_pin.gif)
    > no-repeat top right;
    > margin: .5em 1em;
    > padding: 0em .75em;
    > }
    > Any help will be gratefully received!

    I would have thought it was your:

    #content margin: 1em 5% 1em 5%;

    An alternative method could be:

    margin: 1em auto 1em auto;
    width:90%;

    --
    BootNic Monday, July 31, 2006 11:35 PM

    Freedom defined is freedom denied.
    *Illuminatus*

    BootNic, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 03:36:14 GMT, "BootNic"
    <> wrote:

    >> "Andrew" <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am having immense frustration with 2 pages that demonstrate
    >> horizontal scroll bars in Internet Explorer 6. The pages are:
    >>
    >> http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancient_greek.html
    >> http://www.andrews-corner.org/web_publishing.html
    >>
    >> (BTW the content is not complete on both pages!) The culprits appear
    >> to be some div boxes in the main #Content box that I am using to
    >> enclose material. With these removed the scroll bar vanishes.

    snip.......................

    >> Any help will be gratefully received!

    >I would have thought it was your:
    >
    >#content margin: 1em 5% 1em 5%;
    >
    >An alternative method could be:
    >
    > margin: 1em auto 1em auto;
    > width:90%;

    Hi BootNic,

    If you were anywhere close I would kiss you on both cheeks!! I have
    changed the CSS as you suggested and all is now well.

    Thanks,

    Andrew.
    --

    Andrew