Horizontal Scrolling Problem

Jonathan Tremlett

Hi all,

I have developed a site and have a requirement to display hyperlinks. While
on the conventional desktop screen this is fine but on the PDA it makes a
horizontal scrollbar for the longer links. I was wondering does anyone have
a fix for this to make it to force wrap. I have looked on the Google
results already but seem to be going round in circles and mixing the vital
point.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan Tremlett

Safalra

Jonathan said:
I have developed a site and have a requirement to display hyperlinks. While
on the conventional desktop screen this is fine but on the PDA it makes a
horizontal scrollbar for the longer links. I was wondering does anyone have
a fix for this to make it to force wrap.

You could attempt to force wrapping using <br> within the links (these
would occur at the same location on a desktop as well, however), but as
you've discovered wrapping policy is up to the user-agent and a page
author can't really compensate for bad program design. I presume users
of this particular PDA are used to this 'feature' however, and have
probably learnt to tolerate it, so don't worry too much about it.

Jonathan Tremlett CIT2004

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I do realise that users will probably
get used to their application but this is part of a university study.
However, I have done sometihng to fix this for my demonstration.

If anyone is interested I have described below:

Checks $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] to see if it contains "Windows CE".
If so then after 35 characters in thre string take a new line. There
will be many different formats in the $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] value
but for my purposes I only have to show 1 example.

Hope this is useful for information.

Regards,
Jonathan Tremlett