    even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
    Please help,
    Ofir.
    ofiras, Aug 14, 2008

  2. ofiras

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    ofiras <> wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    > I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
    > the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
    > they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
    > context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
    > How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
    > even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
    > Please help,

    You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
    middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
    say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
    calculate what to make the middle cell?

    Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
    meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
    happens to be.

    <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

    If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
    1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
    they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
    priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
    maybe not for the author.

    This might do you:

    <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 14, 2008

  3. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 14 ×וגוסט, 11:03, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  ofiras <> wrote:
    > > Hi everyone,
    > > I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
    > > the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
    > > they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
    > > context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
    > > How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
    > > even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
    > > Please help,

    > You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
    > middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
    > say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
    > calculate what to make the middle cell?
    >
    > Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
    > meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
    > happens to be.
    >
    > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>
    >
    > If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
    > 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
    > they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
    > priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
    > maybe not for the author.
    >
    > This might do you:
    >
    > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
    it's ok for what I want to do.
    Ofir.
    ofiras, Aug 14, 2008
  4. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 14 ×וגוסט, 11:33, ofiras <> wrote:
    > On 14 ×וגוסט, 11:03, dorayme <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > >  ofiras <> wrote:
    > > > Hi everyone,
    > > > I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
    > > > the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
    > > > they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
    > > > context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
    > > > How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
    > > > even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
    > > > Please help,

    > > You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
    > > middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
    > > say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
    > > calculate what to make the middle cell?

    > > Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
    > > meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
    > > happens to be.

    > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

    > > If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
    > > 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
    > > they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
    > > priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
    > > maybe not for the author.

    > > This might do you:

    > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
    > it's ok for what I want to do.
    > Ofir.

    Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
    gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
    the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
    squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
    width of the cells?
    Please help,
    Ofir.
    ofiras, Aug 14, 2008
  5. ofiras

    +mrcakey Guest

    "ofiras" <> wrote in message
    On 14 ??????, 11:33, ofiras <> wrote:
    > On 14 ??????, 11:03, dorayme <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > > ofiras <> wrote:
    > > > Hi everyone,
    > > > I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
    > > > the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
    > > > they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
    > > > context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
    > > > How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
    > > > even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
    > > > Please help,

    > > You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
    > > middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
    > > say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
    > > calculate what to make the middle cell?

    > > Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
    > > meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
    > > happens to be.

    > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

    > > If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
    > > 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
    > > they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
    > > priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
    > > maybe not for the author.

    > > This might do you:

    > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
    > it's ok for what I want to do.
    > Ofir.

    -Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
    -gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
    -the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
    -squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
    -width of the cells?
    -Please help,
    -Ofir.

    It would be most helpful if you gave us a link and then we could see exactly
    what you were doing.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Aug 14, 2008
  6. ofiras

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    ofiras <> wrote:

    > > > You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
    > > > middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
    > > > say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
    > > > calculate what to make the middle cell?

    > > > Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
    > > > meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
    > > > happens to be.

    > > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

    > > > If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
    > > > 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
    > > > they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
    > > > priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
    > > > maybe not for the author.

    > > > This might do you:

    > > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > > Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
    > > it's ok for what I want to do.
    > > Ofir.

    > Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
    > gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
    > the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
    > squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
    > width of the cells?
    > Please help,
    > Ofir.

    In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:

    <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>

    but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
    cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
    middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
    gumption!

    Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
    unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.

    What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
    sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
    might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
    almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
    us things to have fun with... <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 14, 2008
  7. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 14 ×וגוסט, 12:26, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,

    > > > Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
    > > > it's ok for what I want to do.
    > > > Ofir.

    > > Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
    > > gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
    > > the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
    > > squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
    > > width of the cells?
    > > Please help,
    > > Ofir.

    > In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:
    >
    > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>
    >
    > but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
    > cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
    > middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
    > gumption!
    >
    > Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
    > unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.
    >
    > What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
    > sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
    > might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
    > almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
    > us things to have fun with... <g>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Ok, this is the html as it is when everything is ok:
    http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html
    This is what I don't want to happen: http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.html
    In the second one the side td's are squeezed. I want them to stay in
    the same width I stated which is 300.
    ofiras, Aug 14, 2008
  8. ofiras

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 14 Aug 2008, ofiras <> wrote:

    >> > Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
    >> > gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
    >> > the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
    >> > squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
    >> > width of the cells?
    >> > Please help,
    >> > Ofir.

    >> In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:
    >>
    >> <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>
    >>
    >> but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
    >> cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
    >> middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
    >> gumption!
    >>
    >> Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
    >> unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.
    >>
    >> What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
    >> sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
    >> might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
    >> almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
    >> us things to have fun with... <g>
    >>
    >> --
    >> dorayme

    > Ok, this is the html as it is when everything is ok:
    > http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html
    > This is what I don't want to happen:
    > http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.html In the second one the side
    > td's are squeezed. I want them to stay in the same width I stated which
    > is 300.

    The div which wraps the (entire) contents of the middle cell should have -

    style="width:900px;overflow:hidden;"

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 14, 2008
  9. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 14 ×וגוסט, 23:15, Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > >> In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:

    > >> <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>

    > >> but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
    > >> cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
    > >> middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
    > >> gumption!

    > >> Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
    > >> unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.

    > >> What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
    > >> sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
    > >> might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
    > >> almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
    > >> us things to have fun with... <g>

    > >> --
    > >> dorayme

    > > Ok, this is the html as it is when everything is ok:
    > >http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html
    > > This is what I don't want to happen:
    > >http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.htmlIn the second one the side
    > > td's are squeezed. I want them to stay in the same width I stated which
    > > is 300.

    > The div which wraps the (entire) contents of the middle cell should have -
    >
    > style="width:900px;overflow:hidden;"
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
    > Great Sights and Sounds
    > Fmail for p/w for Specials

    but I still won't to see the hole word, I want the cells to be at
    least the width I wrote, unless there is something like the ling word
    I wrote, and then the cell gets bigger, while the other cells stay the
    same - I won't the table width to be the combined width of all cells
    (the real width that we see - if one cell is bigger, then the table
    need to get bigger at the same amount of pixels the cell got big.)
    ofiras, Aug 15, 2008
  10. ofiras

    dorayme Guest

    In article‭ ‬
    ‭<‬‭>,‬
    ‭ ‬ofiras‭ <‬‭> ‬wrote‭:‬

    ‭> ‬but I still won't to see the hole word‭, ‬I want the cells to be at
    ‭> ‬least the width I wrote‭, ‬unless there is something like the ling word
    ‭> ‬I wrote‭, ‬and then the cell gets bigger‭, ‬while the other cells stay the
    ‭> ‬same‭ - ‬I won't the table width to be the combined width of all cells
    ‭> (‬the real width that we see‭ - ‬if one cell is bigger‭, ‬then the table
    ‭> ‬need to get bigger at the same amount of pixels the cell got big‭.)‬

    What width do you want the table to be‭? ‬Please supply a pixel amount or‭ ‬
    a percentage amount‭. (‬to keep it simple‭). ‬If you supply a‭ % ‬remember‭ ‬
    that it is the percent of the container inwhich the table is in‭. ‬If the‭ ‬
    table is loose in body and body fill the window width‭, ‬then it is a‭ ‬
    percent of the browser window‭.‬

    Next‭, ‬you want 3‭ ‬cells‭. ‬You want the first cell to be 300px and the last‭ ‬
    to be 300px‭. ‬What do you want the middle cell to be‭? ‬I explained in my‭ ‬
    first post with URL illustration why there is a difficulty‭. ‬So what do‭ ‬
    you want‭?‬

    ‭-- ‬
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 15, 2008
  11. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 15 ×וגוסט, 10:00, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article‭ ‬
    > ‭<‬‭>,‬
    > ‭ ‬ofiras‭ <‬‭> ‬wrote‭:‬
    >
    > ‭> ‬but I still won't to see the hole word‭, ‬I want the cells to be at
    > ‭> ‬least the width I wrote‭, ‬unless there is something like the ling word
    > ‭> ‬I wrote‭, ‬and then the cell gets bigger‭, ‬while the other cells stay the
    > ‭> ‬same‭ - ‬I won't the table width to be the combined width of all cells
    > ‭> (‬the real width that we see‭ - ‬if one cell is bigger‭, ‬then the table
    > ‭> ‬need to get bigger at the same amount of pixels the cell got big‭.)‬
    >
    > What width do you want the table to be‭? ‬Please supply a pixel amount or‭ ‬
    > a percentage amount‭. (‬to keep it simple‭). ‬If you supply a‭ % ‬remember‭ ‬
    > that it is the percent of the container inwhich the table is in‭. ‬If the‭ ‬
    > table is loose in body and body fill the window width‭, ‬then it is a‭ ‬
    > percent of the browser window‭.‬
    >
    > Next‭, ‬you want 3‭ ‬cells‭. ‬You want the first cell to be 300px and the last‭ ‬
    > to be 300px‭. ‬What do you want the middle cell to be‭? ‬I explained in my‭ ‬
    > first post with URL illustration why there is a difficulty‭. ‬So what do‭ ‬
    > you want‭?‬
    >
    > ‭-- ‬
    > dorayme

    As I said, I want my table's width to be the combined width of the
    cells containing it, and the middle cell's width will be 700px, that
    means that when there are no problems, the table width will be 1300px
    (300+700+300). When there is a problem like in the second URL I posted
    (http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.html ), and the one of the
    cell's width has to get bigger (a thing that I want to happen), the
    others squeeze, trying to fit into the 1300px I assigned to the table
    - a thing that I don't want to happen. I want the table to be
    "elastic" and if one cell gets bigger, that the other cells can stay
    the same, while the whole table's width is getting bigger to contain
    all the cells.
    For example, in a normal situation, like in the first URL I posted
    (http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html) the cells width is as I
    wanted them to be (300,700,300), and the table's width is their
    combined width, as I stated (1300).
    when the middle cell get's bigger for example, let's say to the width
    of 900px, that the other cells squeeze to the width of the biggest
    word in them, trying to fit the 1300px of the table's width. what I
    want to happen in this situation, is that the width of the left and
    right cells will stay the same, while the middle's width will be 900,
    and that means that the table's width will grow too to 1500px
    (300+900+300).
    I don't mind using java script if necessary, but I prefer not.
    Please help,
    Ofir.
    ofiras, Aug 15, 2008
  12. ofiras

    dorayme Guest

    In article‭ ‬
    ‭<‬‭>,‬
    ‭ ‬ofiras‭ <‬‭> ‬wrote‭:‬

    ‭> ‬On 15‭ ‬×וגוסט‮, ‬10:00‮, ‬dorayme‭ <‬doraymeRidT‭...‬@optusnet.com.au‭> ‬wrote‮:‬
    ‭> > ‬In article‭ ‬
    ‭> > <‬1583a697-52ec-401d-a439-117212e45‭...‬@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com‭>,‬
    ‭> > ‬ofiras‭ <‬ofi‭...‬@gmail.com‭> ‬wrote‭:‬
    ‭> ‬‮>‬
[...]
    ‭> > -- ‬
    ‭> > ‬dorayme
    ‭> ‬
    ‭> ‬As I said‭, ‬I want my table's width to be the combined width of the
    ‭> ‬cells containing it‭, ‬

    They can't be much else‭ (‬if we take away borders and padding and‭ ‬
    margins‭) ‬can they‭?‬

    ‭> ‬and the middle cell's width will be 700px‭, ‬that
    ‭> ‬means that when there are no problems‭, ‬the table width will be 1300px
    ‭> (‬300+700+300‭). ‬

    OK‭, ‬you want 1300px wide table‭, ‬with 300‭, ‬700‭ ‬and 300‭. ‬Cannot you simply‭ ‬
    adapt the table I‭ ‬have already made for you‭? ‬I made you‭:‬

    ‭<‬http‭://‬dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html‭>‬

    and mentioned caveats‭.‬

    Can you not adapt the figures‭?‬

    Have you tried changing my 1500‭ ‬to 1300‭? ‬That gives you what you want in‭ ‬
    Firefox and Safari‭, ‬a couple of good modern browsers‭. ‬You get the‭ ‬
    figures you want and the scrollbar you wanted‭. ‬

    I don't know about other browsers‭. ‬I know Opera will not let you dictate‭ ‬
    to it for the middle cell so easily‭. ‬Why not tell us what happens in‭ ‬
    other browsers‭. ‬

    ‭ ‬I can make neither head nor tail of your URLs‭, ‬they simply look like‭ ‬
    nothing anyone could want‭? ‬Perhaps you are seeing something I am not‭ ‬
    seeing‭? ‬

[...]

    Well‭, ‬now you want something else‭, ‬more fluid‭. ‬I did give you another‭ ‬
    URL that held the sides at 300‭ ‬and let the middle find itself‭. (‬I think‭)‬

    Anyway‭, ‬good luck‭, ‬I am not sure what else I can do‭?‬

    ‭-- ‬
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 15, 2008
  13. ofiras

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Aug 2008, ofiras <> wrote:

    >> > Ok, this is the html as it is when everything is ok:
    >> >http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html
    >> > This is what I don't want to happen:
    >> >http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.htmlIn the second one the side
    >> > td's are squeezed. I want them to stay in the same width I stated

    which
    >> > is 300.

    >> The div which wraps the (entire) contents of the middle cell should have

    > -
    >>
    >> style="width:900px;overflow:hidden;"
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
    >> Great Sights and Sounds
    >> Fmail for p/w for Specials

    > but I still won't to see the hole word, I want the cells to be at
    > least the width I wrote, unless there is something like the ling word
    > I wrote, and then the cell gets bigger, while the other cells stay the
    > same - I won't the table width to be the combined width of all cells
    > (the real width that we see - if one cell is bigger, then the table
    > need to get bigger at the same amount of pixels the cell got big.)

    How come the newest 4-5 messages in this thread have garbled characters?

    Anyway, what you want to do is pathetically simple but you've confused it
    with all the crap you have in your so-called page. You should have made a
    simple one-row, three-cell, no-nested tables example and you probably could
    have figured it out for yourself.

    First, get rid of all the widths (-except the redoubtable "spacer cells"
    which you should get rid of entirely.) Now put a 300px-wide div around the
    contents of the first and last cell. Voila, your done. If you want the
    middle cell different than its default, go ahead and put a width on it or
    on a contents-containing div inside. DON'T put a width on the table. The
    end cells will stay at 300px.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 15, 2008
  14. ofiras

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    ofiras <> wrote:

    > On 15 ‡Â‚ÂÒ˨†11:28¨†dorayme <> wrote∫

    > > OK, you want 1300px wide table, with 300, 700 and 300. Cannot you simply
    > > adapt the table I have already made for you? I made you:

    > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>

    > > and mentioned caveats.

    > > Can you not adapt the figures?

    > > Have you tried changing my 1500 to 1300? That gives you what you want in
    > > Firefox and Safari, a couple of good modern browsers. You get the
    > > figures you want and the scrollbar you wanted.

    > > I don't know about other browsers. I know Opera will not let you dictate
    > > to it for the middle cell so easily. Why not tell us what happens in
    > > other browsers.

    > > I can make neither head nor tail of your URLs, they simply look like
    > > nothing anyone could want? Perhaps you are seeing something I am not
    > > seeing?

    > > Well, now you want something else, more fluid. I did give you another
    > > URL that held the sides at 300 and let the middle find itself. (I think)

    > The table you made still makes the other cells squeese when one cell
    > gets big - http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index3.html

    That's because you have put an unbreakable string of text in the middle
    cell.

    I did ask you, and others have asked you what you are really doing? What
    is this page for? Is it a big picture i the middle or really some huge
    word that is unique or is it for some scientific purpose like a string
    for chemical components or what? What is an example of the real content?
    Nobody wants "worddddd..." with hundreds of "d"s?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 15, 2008
  15. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 15 ×וגוסט, 15:38, Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > which

    > >> The div which wraps the (entire) contents of the middle cell should have

    > > -

    > >> style="width:900px;overflow:hidden;"

    > >> --
    > >> Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
    > >> Great Sights and Sounds
    > >> Fmail for p/w for Specials

    > > but I still won't to see the hole word, I want the cells to be at
    > > least the width I wrote, unless there is something like the ling word
    > > I wrote, and then the cell gets bigger, while the other cells stay the
    > > same - I won't the table width to be the combined width of all cells
    > > (the real width that we see - if one cell is bigger, then the table
    > > need to get bigger at the same amount of pixels the cell got big.)

    > How come the newest 4-5 messages in this thread have garbled characters?
    >
    > Anyway, what you want to do is pathetically simple but you've confused it
    > with all the crap you have in your so-called page.  You should have made a
    > simple one-row, three-cell, no-nested tables example and you probably could
    > have figured it out for yourself.
    >
    > First, get rid of all the widths (-except the redoubtable "spacer cells"
    > which you should get rid of entirely.)  Now put a 300px-wide div around the
    > contents of the first and last cell.  Voila, your done.  If you want the
    > middle cell different than its default, go ahead and put a width on it or
    > on a contents-containing div inside.  DON'T put a width on the table..  The
    > end cells will stay at 300px.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
    > Great Sights and Sounds
    > Fmail for p/w for Specials

    Thanks, I seceded doing what I want using what you said. I'm sorry for
    my English and my lousy explanation of what I want, English is not my
    mother tongue, so it's hard for me to use it. I knew it was just a
    matter of explaining what I want, and that the solution is not that
    complicated...
    Anyway, thank you all for helping me.
    Ofir.
    ofiras, Aug 17, 2008
  16. ofiras

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 17 Aug 2008, ofiras <> wrote:

    >> First, get rid of all the widths (-except the redoubtable "spacer
    >> cells" which you should get rid of entirely.)  Now put a 300px-wide
    >> div aro

    > und the
    >> contents of the first and last cell.  Voila, your done.  If you

    > want the
    >> middle cell different than its default, go ahead and put a width on it
    >> or on a contents-containing div inside.  DON'T put a width on the
    >> table

    > .  The
    >> end cells will stay at 300px.

    > Thanks, I seceded doing what I want using what you said. I'm sorry for
    > my English and my lousy explanation of what I want, English is not my
    > mother tongue, so it's hard for me to use it. I knew it was just a
    > matter of explaining what I want, and that the solution is not that
    > complicated...
    > Anyway, thank you all for helping me.
    > Ofir.

    You speak English much better than I speak any other language.

    Anyway, it would benefit you to research the current html standards
    because the page you presented is basically constructed with 10-year-old
    methods.

    Nonetheless, best of luck on your venture.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 17, 2008