    achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text around
    to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div tags. Can
    anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

    jch, Jan 24, 2004

  2. jch

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:gcuQb.27005$>
    "jch" <> said:

    > I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly to
    > achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text around
    > to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div tags. Can
    > anyone give me some pointers?

    don't use tables for layout
    take advantage of the natural flow as much as possible
    use margins/paddings/floats to adjust natural flow
    if margins/paddings/floats cant achieve the results you want then use
    positioning.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 24, 2004

  3. jch

    Richard Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post: <news:gcuQb.27005$>
    > "jch" <> said:

    >> I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly
    >> to achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text
    >>around to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div
    >>tags. Can anyone give me some pointers?

    > don't use tables for layout

    Who said he was? Don't get pissed off just because tables is mentioned.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2004
  4. jch

    Richard Guest

    jch wrote:

    > I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly
    > to achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text
    > around to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div
    > tags. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

    There are various attributes you can use to change the default output.
    margin; padding; letter-spacing; text-align; white-space; and word-spacing
    for example.

    Brucie refuses to be civil when the word "table" is mentioned.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Quoth the raven named Richard:

    > brucie wrote:
    >
    > > in post: <news:gcuQb.27005$>
    > > "jch" <> said:

    > >>I'm using tables and div
    > >>tags. Can anyone give me some pointers?

    > > don't use tables for layout

    > Who said he was? Don't get pissed off just because tables is mentioned.

    What do the words "I'm using tables" imply to you?

    BTW, how about adjusting your newsreader to not add the extra space at
    the beginning of quoted lines. It screws up quoting.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 24, 2004
  6. jch

    DU Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > jch wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly
    > > to achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text
    > > around to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div
    > > tags. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

    > There are various attributes you can use to change the default output.
    > margin; padding; letter-spacing; text-align; white-space; and word-spacing
    > for example.
    >
    > Brucie refuses to be civil when the word "table" is mentioned.

    All Brucie said was "don't use tables for layout": what's not civil in
    there? I agree with him, btw. Using tables for layout is a very frequent
    and bad design decision. I see nothing wrong with telling (or reminding)
    people to avoid such.

    Why tables for layout is stupid:
    problems defined, solutions offered
    http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/

    DU

    DU, Jan 24, 2004
  7. "DU" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    > > jch wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text

    correctly
    > > > to achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move

    text
    > > > around to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and

    div
    > > > tags. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

    > > There are various attributes you can use to change the default output.
    > > margin; padding; letter-spacing; text-align; white-space; and

    word-spacing
    > > for example.
    > >
    > > Brucie refuses to be civil when the word "table" is mentioned.
    > >

    > All Brucie said was "don't use tables for layout": what's not civil in
    > there? I agree with him, btw. Using tables for layout is a very frequent
    > and bad design decision. I see nothing wrong with telling (or reminding)
    > people to avoid such.

    I have just tried to convert tables in CSS on this page containing a form
    http://www.italymap.dk/sv/formular.html
    Was that good or do you mean that the form shows tabular data and therefore
    should be rendered as a table?

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    http://www.italymap.dk
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 24, 2004
  8. jch

    jch Guest

    "jch" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly

    > achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text

    around
    > to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div tags.

    Can
    > anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

    Thank you for all the responses. I had some data that I was using tables
    for and div tags to do some layout. I was mixing the two inappropriately and
    getting unexpected results when viewing in Mozilla and IE. I have the
    problem cleared up now and have learned a lot in a short period of time
    about layout. One thing I learned, and it took me quite awhile, was that to
    use <PRE> consistently I needed to put
    <pre> {
    margin:0px;
    }
    in my style sheet to account for Mozilla and IE defaulting to different
    margin values, as you all know - but I didn't! :)

    jch

    jch, Jan 26, 2004