Horizontal Spacing (newbie)

jch

I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly to
achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text around
to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div tags. Can
anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

brucie

in post: <
jch said:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly to
achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text around
to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div tags. Can
anyone give me some pointers?

don't use tables for layout
take advantage of the natural flow as much as possible
use margins/paddings/floats to adjust natural flow
if margins/paddings/floats cant achieve the results you want then use
positioning.

Richard

jch said:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly
to achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text
around to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div
tags. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

There are various attributes you can use to change the default output.
margin; padding; letter-spacing; text-align; white-space; and word-spacing
for example.

Brucie refuses to be civil when the word "table" is mentioned.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Richard:
Who said he was? Don't get pissed off just because tables is mentioned.

What do the words "I'm using tables" imply to you?

BTW, how about adjusting your newsreader to not add the extra space at
the beginning of quoted lines. It screws up quoting.

DU

Richard said:
There are various attributes you can use to change the default output.
margin; padding; letter-spacing; text-align; white-space; and word-spacing
for example.

Brucie refuses to be civil when the word "table" is mentioned.

All Brucie said was "don't use tables for layout": what's not civil in
there? I agree with him, btw. Using tables for layout is a very frequent
and bad design decision. I see nothing wrong with telling (or reminding)
people to avoid such.

Why tables for layout is stupid:
problems defined, solutions offered
http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/

DU

Luigi Donatello Asero

DU said:
All Brucie said was "don't use tables for layout": what's not civil in
there? I agree with him, btw. Using tables for layout is a very frequent
and bad design decision. I see nothing wrong with telling (or reminding)
people to avoid such.

I have just tried to convert tables in CSS on this page containing a form
http://www.italymap.dk/sv/formular.html
Was that good or do you mean that the form shows tabular data and therefore
should be rendered as a table?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

jch

jch said:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to horizontally space text correctly to
achieve desired results. Seems it just isn't easy for me to move text around
to make things look exactly like I want. I'm using tables and div tags. Can
anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

Thank you for all the responses. I had some data that I was using tables
for and div tags to do some layout. I was mixing the two inappropriately and
getting unexpected results when viewing in Mozilla and IE. I have the
problem cleared up now and have learned a lot in a short period of time
about layout. One thing I learned, and it took me quite awhile, was that to
use <PRE> consistently I needed to put
<pre> {
margin:0px;
}
in my style sheet to account for Mozilla and IE defaulting to different
margin values, as you all know - but I didn't! :)

jch