Host Multiple Sites on One IIS Server

Jeff S

What are my options if I want to host hundreds of sites on one IIS server
(like Internet presence providers do); such that site1.com, site2.com,
site3.com... site278.com... are all hosted on the same box?

I already know that each site can be specified on a different port, the
particular site to be accessed can be specified in the HTTP header, and
multiple NICs can be installed on the server - each with its own IP address.
I doubt Internet presence providers have hundreds of Nics installed - yet
they also do not apparently require users to specify special HTTP headers or
port numbers. What am I missing?

Thanks.

bruce barker

if the browser supports http 1.1 (host header), it will send an additional
header with the hostname specified, which can be used to pick the virtual
root.

you just assign all the domain (host) names to the same ip address, and
setup a virtual root for each domain name, specifiying the domain name as
the host name. the hosted site will not support redirecting to the ipaddress
(as thats the default site), so all links must be relative or include the
domain name.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Jim Hughes

Multiple Nics are not required to have multiple IP addresses.

Check out the Advanced button on the Nic Properties | Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP) entry.