Host Problems with ShellApplication object

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by jholmes1@aacps.org, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have been using the ShellApplication object in an ASP script to
    retrieve some file characteristics that the FileSystem object does not
    access (this is one of my clients' sites on a commercial host, running
    IIS 6.0).

    The script ran perfectly for about 6 months, then began returning
    "Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8' Object required". The code
    had not been changed. The script doesn't produce an error on the
    creation of the object, but at the first use of it.

    The hosting company rebooted the server and it again worked fine, but
    then failed again.

    The hosting Co's attitude is "you are the only client using this object
    and the only client affected by it failing - find a different way to do
    what you want to do"

    My contention is that they started/stopped doing something that has
    caused this to fail and just don't want to be bothered
    researching/fixing it (I use the object with no problems on several
    other hosts).

    Can anyone shed some light? Is there a known problem with the object or
    something known to cause it to fail?

    Thanks,

    Dave Holmes

    , Apr 10, 2006