    need to have to be able to have/host a website on my XP/WIN2000 boxes. I
    would like any pointers/websites that will address these issues
    Much thanks in advance

    JP Bless, Jan 9, 2006

  2. "JP Bless" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Hi all,
    > I have a database Access/MSDE and would like to have a website so users

    can
    > search the data and update some records/fields through the website.... And

    > have high speed internet connection. Is it possible to setup/host a

    website
    > using WIN2000/XP machine?

    Yes, but doing so will probably violate your contract with your ISP. Very
    few permit non-business-class users to operate servers of any kind on their
    network.

    > Must I have static IP and not dynamic one obtained
    > when my router connects to the ISP?

    You'll need a findable address if you want the users to be able to find you,
    yes. Look up Dynamic DNS.

    If you want to operate a server on your Internet connection, your ISP will
    probably want you to pay for a fixed IP address and this will be expensive.

    > What kind of internet connection do I
    > need to have to be able to have/host a website on my XP/WIN2000 boxes. I
    > would like any pointers/websites that will address these issues
    > Much thanks in advance

    You may be better off by simply contacting people who already operate
    servers and paying them to host your site. You will likely find it
    cheaper, easier, and more reliable.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Jan 9, 2006

  3. JP Bless

    Turkbear Guest

    And you will need to be up to date on all possible security issues and fixes ( and update as often as possible -
    perhaps hourly)
    ..The better way is to pay a hosting service and let them take the risks..

    Turkbear, Jan 9, 2006
  4. JP Bless

    denis Guest

    Read this - it will answer all your questions:
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/

    denis, Jan 9, 2006
  5. JP Bless

    JP Bless Guest

    Thanks all for the wonderful tips. I appreciate. Sure the better way is to
    pay a hosting service and let them take the risks... Here is the picture...
    I wrote a software for Buy and sell of used and new items. The software has
    been running for years and the users like it. But a new law regulating Buy
    And Sell stores in my area requires that store owners have "live web access"
    to their database so the police can search their database online any time.
    That means the database would be shared by both the store and online web
    page access. I am not farmiliar with web access technology (in terms of
    incorporating web page with locally used progrom...) so I am basically
    exploring and researching how to go about this. With out the web access, my
    software will no longer be acceptable for use by buy and sell stores.

    Thanks for the help.

    JP Bless, Jan 9, 2006
  6. JP Bless

    Guest

    I'd suggest using something like the opensource GenericDB to allow Web
    pages (and these can be restricted to who logged in) attached to a
    database all located online. And then you could FTP up a new copy of
    the database every so often (every week or so perhaps?)

    Perhaps this may hopefully give you some ideas:

    Web Database Concept
    http://www.bullschmidt.com/concept.asp

    This is something I put together about ASP that hopefully might help
    somehow.

    Best regards,
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

    , Jan 9, 2006
  7. JP Bless

    JP Bless Guest

    nice stuff on the site

    JP Bless, Jan 10, 2006
  8. JP Bless wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have a database Access/MSDE and would like to have a website so users can
    > search the data and update some records/fields through the website.... And I
    > have high speed internet connection. Is it possible to setup/host a website
    > using WIN2000/XP machine? Must I have static IP and not dynamic one obtained
    > when my router connects to the ISP? What kind of internet connection do I
    > need to have to be able to have/host a website on my XP/WIN2000 boxes. I
    > would like any pointers/websites that will address these issues
    > Much thanks in advance

    A Win2K Pro or WinXP Pro computer could be used to host a small web
    site, provided that you never needed/expected to have more than 10
    people connected to it simultaneously.

    For the specifics of hosting it and getting a static IP address,
    consult your ISP's sales department. They probably make provisions for
    their subscribers' hosting their own web sites, for a suitable fee.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm