Hosting asp.net site

jungeriusblom

Hi all,

I was thinking to host my own website on an old pc.

What do I need to host an asp.net site?
Only the framework (and ofcourse IIs)?

Is it easy to combine 'normal' asp and asp.net?

Cheers,
Hulte

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

The only thing you need to host your own site is a computer capable of
running the web server software. Any computer that you can install win 2000
or win xp on is capable. You can even use xp home with the Cassini web
server that is included with Web Matrix to run ASP.NET. And ASP and ASP.NET
can run side by side and even in the same virtual directory because the
..aspx extension will map to the ASP.NET ISAPI handler. You can even do a
form post from an ASP page to an ASPX page.

So, yes, you need the framework and the Cassini web server or IIS.

Jeffrey Palermo

Curt_C [MVP]

for internal use yeah, that's all you need really.
As for combining, you can use both on the same server easily, but try to
avoid mixing the two types in the same app/site.

Jos

Jeffrey Palermo said:
The only thing you need to host your own site is a computer capable of
running the web server software. Any computer that you can install win 2000
or win xp on is capable. You can even use xp home with the Cassini web
server that is included with Web Matrix to run ASP.NET. And ASP and ASP.NET
can run side by side and even in the same virtual directory because the
.aspx extension will map to the ASP.NET ISAPI handler. You can even do a
form post from an ASP page to an ASPX page.

So, yes, you need the framework and the Cassini web server or IIS.

Jeffrey Palermo

Keep in mind that Cassini normally doesn't accept remote requests (only
localhost).
You'll need to download the source code and rebuild it:
http://www.microsoft.com/belux/nl/msdn/community/columns/desmet/hostaspnet2.mspx