Hosting Companies: Help for Python Users?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Holden, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. Steve Holden

    Steve Holden Guest

    I know there are quite a few hosting companies now who represent
    themselves as Python-friendly. Rather than trawl through the Wiki pages,
    however, and email each one separately I am sending this request to the
    comp.lang.python list (and putting it on my blog) in the hope of
    attracting those companies who are more involved with the Python community.

    There is a particular problem, highlighted recently by this comment from
    Dennis Lee Beiber:

    > Too many 3rd-party modules still aren't available in 2.5
    > versions for my tastes...

    This applies particularly (though not exclusively) to the Windows
    platform, for various reasons -- the most common one is that Linux
    developers frequently don't have a Windows machine available to help
    them test their builds and ensure that distributions are available.

    I am trying to address this problem, initially by making hosted Windows
    machines available for use as buildbots. I already have agreement from
    Grig Gheorghiu (who maintains the PSF's buildbots) to try and support
    these efforts, and from Microsoft to consider providing appropriate
    software.

    What I *don't* have is hosting companies offering me space on machines
    in their racks. If anyone reading this can help out I'd appreciate it if
    they would get in touch with me (replying to the newsgroup post or
    commenting on the blog entry should do it). These machines would need
    remote desktop access so they could be managed without physical presence.

    The intention is to try and shorten the "version lag" so that new
    versions of Python can be better supported more quickly. I don't
    guarantee that this will happen overnight, but I'd like to make a start.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Recent Ramblings http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
    Steve Holden, Apr 9, 2007

  2. Steve Holden

    Larry Bates Guest

    Steve Holden wrote:
    > I know there are quite a few hosting companies now who represent
    > themselves as Python-friendly. Rather than trawl through the Wiki pages,
    > however, and email each one separately I am sending this request to the
    > comp.lang.python list (and putting it on my blog) in the hope of
    > attracting those companies who are more involved with the Python community.
    >
    > There is a particular problem, highlighted recently by this comment from
    > Dennis Lee Beiber:
    >
    >> Too many 3rd-party modules still aren't available in 2.5
    >> versions for my tastes...

    > This applies particularly (though not exclusively) to the Windows
    > platform, for various reasons -- the most common one is that Linux
    > developers frequently don't have a Windows machine available to help
    > them test their builds and ensure that distributions are available.
    >
    > I am trying to address this problem, initially by making hosted Windows
    > machines available for use as buildbots. I already have agreement from
    > Grig Gheorghiu (who maintains the PSF's buildbots) to try and support
    > these efforts, and from Microsoft to consider providing appropriate
    > software.
    >
    > What I *don't* have is hosting companies offering me space on machines
    > in their racks. If anyone reading this can help out I'd appreciate it if
    > they would get in touch with me (replying to the newsgroup post or
    > commenting on the blog entry should do it). These machines would need
    > remote desktop access so they could be managed without physical presence.
    >
    > The intention is to try and shorten the "version lag" so that new
    > versions of Python can be better supported more quickly. I don't
    > guarantee that this will happen overnight, but I'd like to make a start.
    >
    > regards
    > Steve

    Apollo Hosting has this available (www.apollohosting.com).

    -Larry
    Larry Bates, Apr 9, 2007

  3. Steve Holden

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Steve Holden:

    > Dennis Lee Beiber:
    >
    > > Too many 3rd-party modules still aren't available in 2.5
    > > versions for my tastes...

    > This applies particularly (though not exclusively) to the Windows
    > platform, for various reasons -- the most common one is that Linux
    > developers frequently don't have a Windows machine available to help
    > them test their builds and ensure that distributions are available.
    >
    > I am trying to address this problem, initially by making hosted Windows
    > machines available for use as buildbots.

    I'd like to see this integrated in the Cheese Shop. I recently
    released a small extension class and provided a source distribution and
    a single binary for Python 2.5 on Windows. While I have the compilers
    needed for building back to 1.5, most people don't and even when you do
    it is complex to set up an environment for each version to compile
    successfully.

    It would be great if you could upload a source distribution and mark
    it as containing files that need compilation for each version - or a
    subset of versions if you know it requires particular features. Then the
    compilation is farmed out to machines set up for each Python version and
    when the compilation is finished, a status display shows the set that
    are available and which failed along with a link to see the compilation
    log. A unit test could be optionally included in an upload that would
    contribute to whether the build is marked good.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Steve Holden

    Steve Holden Guest

    Neil Hodgson wrote:
    > Steve Holden:
    >
    >> Dennis Lee Beiber:
    >>
    >> > Too many 3rd-party modules still aren't available in 2.5
    >> > versions for my tastes...

    >> This applies particularly (though not exclusively) to the Windows
    >> platform, for various reasons -- the most common one is that Linux
    >> developers frequently don't have a Windows machine available to help
    >> them test their builds and ensure that distributions are available.
    >>
    >> I am trying to address this problem, initially by making hosted Windows
    >> machines available for use as buildbots.

    > I'd like to see this integrated in the Cheese Shop. I recently
    > released a small extension class and provided a source distribution and
    > a single binary for Python 2.5 on Windows. While I have the compilers
    > needed for building back to 1.5, most people don't and even when you do
    > it is complex to set up an environment for each version to compile
    > successfully.

    Well, that's a great idea but it's ambitious. I'm not sure how we could
    give access to all the developers of Cheese Shop packages who would like
    to define a Windows build. Your skills and knowledge could clearly be
    valuable here.

    > It would be great if you could upload a source distribution and mark
    > it as containing files that need compilation for each version - or a
    > subset of versions if you know it requires particular features. Then the
    > compilation is farmed out to machines set up for each Python version and
    > when the compilation is finished, a status display shows the set that
    > are available and which failed along with a link to see the compilation
    > log. A unit test could be optionally included in an upload that would
    > contribute to whether the build is marked good.

    It would indeed be great, and this was my original grand conception.
    Given that it will all have to be supported by volunteer effort, though,
    I can't commit to providing these features much as I would like to see
    them available - much more is needed in the way of community support
    before we can advertise what's effectively a compile farm for each
    Python version (and then we would need to take the various different
    Windows-supported hardware architectures into account).

    Please don't think I am trying to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, I
    really do believe that what you describe would be a great facility. I am
    just trying to temper the enthusiasm with a modest dose of reality. If
    we could get enough offers of hosted machines and buildbot management I
    would love to see this come to fruition.

    regards
    Steve
    Steve Holden, Apr 10, 2007