Hosting - wildly different response times across the globe

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by badger_nz, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. badger_nz

    badger_nz Guest

    Hi all,

    I recently opened an account with a USA-based hosting company.

    I'm new to the world of hosting providers, and I have a question
    regarding performance that I'm hoping somebody here can answer in plain
    language.

    I have uploaded a static .html page onto my domain. The page links in
    two stylesheets and a few images - total page size is 65kb. I opened an
    account with a website monitoring company, www.websitepulse.com. They
    provide response time stats from 17 countries around the world.

    My static html page is fed-up to a user in Los Angles in 0.5 seconds.
    That is great, just what I'm after. BUT, other sites in the States
    (Miami, Ct, Illinois) take an average of five seconds for the same
    page. Worse, European sites (London, Dusseldorf, Munich) take an
    average of 15 seconds, and Singapore/Australia/New Zealand take up to
    25 seconds.

    I raised this issue with my hosting company's support desk - they told
    me that this is due to geographic distance between their servers and
    the client machines accessing them. Unfortuantely, so slow response
    times will mean that users will probably surf away from my new website
    before they ever get a chance to see its content!

    So, my question is; how/where can I host a website so that I get
    acceptable response times for international traffic? Surely the
    differnece in response times between LA (0.5 seconds) and London (15
    seconds) can't be 'normal'?

    Any comments appreciated.

    James.
    badger_nz, Dec 12, 2006

  2. badger_nz

    Guest

    Hi, one thing to remember is that you get what you pay for in hosting
    as well. Cheap hosting means that you will be sharing your server with
    a whole bunch of other peoples websites who will take up that servers
    resources/ bandwidth which can lead to slow response times as well.

    Just a thought
    Regards
    Markus

    badger_nz wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently opened an account with a USA-based hosting company.
    >
    > I'm new to the world of hosting providers, and I have a question
    > regarding performance that I'm hoping somebody here can answer in plain
    > language.
    >
    > I have uploaded a static .html page onto my domain. The page links in
    > two stylesheets and a few images - total page size is 65kb. I opened an
    > account with a website monitoring company, www.websitepulse.com. They
    > provide response time stats from 17 countries around the world.
    >
    > My static html page is fed-up to a user in Los Angles in 0.5 seconds.
    > That is great, just what I'm after. BUT, other sites in the States
    > (Miami, Ct, Illinois) take an average of five seconds for the same
    > page. Worse, European sites (London, Dusseldorf, Munich) take an
    > average of 15 seconds, and Singapore/Australia/New Zealand take up to
    > 25 seconds.
    >
    > I raised this issue with my hosting company's support desk - they told
    > me that this is due to geographic distance between their servers and
    > the client machines accessing them. Unfortuantely, so slow response
    > times will mean that users will probably surf away from my new website
    > before they ever get a chance to see its content!
    >
    > So, my question is; how/where can I host a website so that I get
    > acceptable response times for international traffic? Surely the
    > differnece in response times between LA (0.5 seconds) and London (15
    > seconds) can't be 'normal'?
    >
    > Any comments appreciated.
    >
    > James.
    , Dec 12, 2006