hosting?

gerrymcc

I'm out of work now, and need to get self-employed because there are
no full-time jobs available locally for which I'm qualified or have
professional experience. I was hoping I could set up a local service
to build web-sites, I know how to write basic HTML, CSS, some
JavaScript, SVG, and applets. In order to get a site hosted for a
client, with their own domain name, do I now need to compare prices
from the local ISPs, or can I get a free space on the web, or what?
If the client wants to be able to allow their customer to fill in an
online form then does the ISP have to have any special software? I
imagine it would have to have php and something like mySQL for if the
client wanted to make a searchable database available?
Thanks for any advice,
GErard

andy johnson

I'm out of work now, and need to get self-employed because there are
no full-time jobs available locally for which I'm qualified or have
professional experience. I was hoping I could set up a local service
to build web-sites, I know how to write basic HTML, CSS, some
JavaScript, SVG, and applets. In order to get a site hosted for a
client, with their own domain name, do I now need to compare prices
from the local ISPs, or can I get a free space on the web, or what?
If the client wants to be able to allow their customer to fill in an
online form then does the ISP have to have any special software? I
imagine it would have to have php and something like mySQL for if the
client wanted to make a searchable database available?
Thanks for any advice,
GErard

If you don't know this, perhaps you aren't quite ready to hang out
your shingle. Free sites in general aren't what you are looking for,
and the client would pay anyway. Search google using key words like
hosting, setting up hosting account, setting up domain etc as well as
any other relevant keywords you can think of to broaden your knowledge
base. You also will need some kind of sample portfolio, a web site
that is modern and can show off your talents. The forms can be CGI for
some things, and can be had at
http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml there's also SSI, and
tons of free templates on the web to get you started, pick out a
variety then update and customize. You can also get a good graphics
creator/editor and other software at tucows.

-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes)

DaveNZ

I was hoping I could set up a local service
to build web-sites,

I agree with Andy - sounds like you're not ready to start taking
people's money. If you're serious, start making sites for free and
learn learn learn.

-nzdave