    Thanks for any advice,
    GErard

    , Sep 14, 2003

  2. andy johnson Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:50:43 GMT, wrote:

    >I'm out of work now, and need to get self-employed because there are
    >no full-time jobs available locally for which I'm qualified or have
    >professional experience. I was hoping I could set up a local service
    >to build web-sites, I know how to write basic HTML, CSS, some
    >JavaScript, SVG, and applets. In order to get a site hosted for a
    >client, with their own domain name, do I now need to compare prices
    >from the local ISPs, or can I get a free space on the web, or what?
    >If the client wants to be able to allow their customer to fill in an
    >online form then does the ISP have to have any special software? I
    >imagine it would have to have php and something like mySQL for if the
    >client wanted to make a searchable database available?
    >Thanks for any advice,
    >GErard

    If you don't know this, perhaps you aren't quite ready to hang out
    your shingle. Free sites in general aren't what you are looking for,
    and the client would pay anyway. Search google using key words like
    hosting, setting up hosting account, setting up domain etc as well as
    any other relevant keywords you can think of to broaden your knowledge
    base. You also will need some kind of sample portfolio, a web site
    that is modern and can show off your talents. The forms can be CGI for
    some things, and can be had at
    http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml there's also SSI, and
    tons of free templates on the web to get you started, pick out a
    variety then update and customize. You can also get a good graphics
    creator/editor and other software at tucows.

    -
    Andy

    "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
    didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
    - (Calvin and Hobbes)

    andy johnson, Sep 14, 2003

  3. DaveNZ Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:50:43 GMT, wrote:

    >I was hoping I could set up a local service
    >to build web-sites,

    I agree with Andy - sounds like you're not ready to start taking
    people's money. If you're serious, start making sites for free and
    learn learn learn.

    -nzdave
    http://www.mediacollege.com
    Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources