hot to align inner table cols with outer table cols

phl

hi,

I have data which I display in a table with 5 columns, some of this
data needs to be collapsable, so user can hide it if they wish. I am
trying to do this with a main table of 5 columns for none collapsable
data and inner tables of the same demensions for collapasable items,
with is displayed or hiddened depending what user selects, using
jscript. The html would look like this:

The problem is with this layout the inner table is shifted a little to
the right, hence the columns of the inner and outer table aren't
matching properly.

Can anyone help or provide alternative method?

Thanks
-phl

Sid Ismail

On 23 May 2006 01:59:46 -0700, "phl" <[email protected]>
wrote:

: hi,
:
: I have data which I display in a table with 5 columns, some of this
: data needs to be collapsable, so user can hide it if they wish. I am
: trying to do this with a main table of 5 columns for none collapsable
: data and inner tables of the same demensions for collapasable items,
: with is displayed or hiddened depending what user selects, using
: jscript. The html would look like this:
:
: <table border="1" id="table1">
: <tr>
: <td style="width: 400px">hello</td>
: <td>world</td>
: </tr>
: <tr>
: <td colspan="2">
: <table border="1" id="table2">
: <tr align="left">
: <td style="width: 400px">hello new</td>
: <td>world</td>
: </tr>
: </table>
: </td>
: </tr>
: </table>
:
: The problem is with this layout the inner table is shifted a little to
: the right, hence the columns of the inner and outer table aren't
: matching properly.
:
: Can anyone help or provide alternative method?

It's the default cellspacing and cellpadding. Set them to zero in the
inner table.

Sid

phl

thanks that helped alot.

why is it that if I set the a width to say "700px" in the outer table,
the cols in the inner table becomes unaligned with the outer? Is there
anyneed to set table width once I have all tables width set?