hover over css map and change background

Discussion in 'HTML' started by chris_culley@yahoo.com, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi there,

    I've got a gif with (highly) irregular shapes (lots of jigsaw pieces)
    that I want to map so that each piece is a link...

    The pieces are currently just a frame drawing, but as they are hovered
    over I want them to be coloured in. I thought the easiest way to do
    this would be to change the background image of the entire map (since
    it's a bit of a pain trying to select each piece out of the image and
    colour them seperately...), with a seperate image showing one of the
    pieces coloured in at a time. Is this possible?

    Basically, I want to know if it's possible to have a hover over a link
    change the background of the entire map and not just that link...

    The css (largely pilfered from Frank Manno's site - cheers :) ) is
    currently as follows:

    ***
    dl#jigsaw{
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    background: url('images/jig_frame_small.gif') no-repeat top left;
    height: 105px;
    width: 354px;
    position: relative
    }

    dt{ margin: 0; padding: 0; position: absolute; font-size: 85%; display:
    none; }
    dd{ margin: 0; padding: 0; position: absolute; font-size: 85%; }

    dd#cms{ top: 0px; left: 0px; }

    dd#cms a{ position: absolute; width: 73px; height: 69px;
    text-decoration: none; background-color:red;}

    dd#cms a:hover{ position: absolute; background:
    url('images/jig_frame_small.gif') no-repeat top left;) }
    ***

    This cms a:hover doesn't do anything!

    the html looks like this:

    ***