    Please suggest some utility or tell me the way developers usually hide
    application jpg images (not icons, etc).

    Thanks
    markus, Jun 26, 2004

  2. "markus" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an application that I think was developed using some form of
    > Borland C with a folder for BIG images with the extension .fre. When I
    > try to view them they cannot be read even by changing the extension
    > to jpg, bmp, zip, etc.
    >
    > I also used some utilities for resource extraction with no success.
    >
    > I know the images are there and there has to be a way to show and
    > convert them to a known format. I have seen libjpeg.dll and zlib.dll
    > in the main application folder along with other dlls.
    >
    > Please suggest some utility or tell me the way developers usually hide
    > application jpg images (not icons, etc).

    Do you have a question about C++? If not then one of the groups in
    news:comp.graphics.* would be a better place to ask.

    john
    John Harrison, Jun 26, 2004

  3. markus

    John Carson Guest

    "markus" <> wrote in message
    > I have an application that I think was developed using some form of
    > Borland C with a folder for BIG images with the extension .fre. When I
    > try to view them they cannot be read even by changing the extension
    > to jpg, bmp, zip, etc.

    Why would you expect that they could be? People don't give JPEG or BMP
    images a .fre extension. It is a different type of file and must be treated
    in the manner appropriate to that file format.

    > I also used some utilities for resource extraction with no success.
    >
    > I know the images are there and there has to be a way to show and
    > convert them to a known format. I have seen libjpeg.dll and zlib.dll
    > in the main application folder along with other dlls.
    >
    > Please suggest some utility or tell me the way developers usually hide
    > application jpg images (not icons, etc).

    What makes you think that there are any JPEG images at all?

    This whole subject is off-topic. If, however, you had done a Google search
    you would have soon discovered that .fre is a file extension for a "Creative
    Digital Blaster Digital VCR file". There are hundreds of file formats. The
    fact that you can't see an image by treating it as a JPEG file is not
    surprising. Step 1 in viewing any file is to find out what format it
    actually is. Step 2 is to process it appropriately for the particular file
    format in question.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Jun 26, 2004
  4. markus

    John Carson Guest

    "John Carson" <> wrote in message

    > This whole subject is off-topic. If, however, you had done a Google
    > search you would have soon discovered that .fre is a file extension
    > for a "Creative Digital Blaster Digital VCR file".

    It is also described as "Male Format CT". I don't know if this is the same
    file type or a different one.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Jun 26, 2004