How are jpeg images usually hidden??

markus

I have an application that I think was developed using some form of
Borland C with a folder for BIG images with the extension .fre. When I
try to view them they cannot be read even by changing the extension
to jpg, bmp, zip, etc.

I also used some utilities for resource extraction with no success.

I know the images are there and there has to be a way to show and
convert them to a known format. I have seen libjpeg.dll and zlib.dll
in the main application folder along with other dlls.

Please suggest some utility or tell me the way developers usually hide
application jpg images (not icons, etc).

Thanks

John Harrison

markus said:
I have an application that I think was developed using some form of
Borland C with a folder for BIG images with the extension .fre. When I
try to view them they cannot be read even by changing the extension
to jpg, bmp, zip, etc.

I also used some utilities for resource extraction with no success.

I know the images are there and there has to be a way to show and
convert them to a known format. I have seen libjpeg.dll and zlib.dll
in the main application folder along with other dlls.

Please suggest some utility or tell me the way developers usually hide
application jpg images (not icons, etc).

Do you have a question about C++? If not then one of the groups in
would be a better place to ask.

john

John Carson

markus said:
I have an application that I think was developed using some form of
Borland C with a folder for BIG images with the extension .fre. When I
try to view them they cannot be read even by changing the extension
to jpg, bmp, zip, etc.

Why would you expect that they could be? People don't give JPEG or BMP
images a .fre extension. It is a different type of file and must be treated
in the manner appropriate to that file format.
I also used some utilities for resource extraction with no success.

I know the images are there and there has to be a way to show and
convert them to a known format. I have seen libjpeg.dll and zlib.dll
in the main application folder along with other dlls.

Please suggest some utility or tell me the way developers usually hide
application jpg images (not icons, etc).

What makes you think that there are any JPEG images at all?

This whole subject is off-topic. If, however, you had done a Google search
you would have soon discovered that .fre is a file extension for a "Creative
Digital Blaster Digital VCR file". There are hundreds of file formats. The
fact that you can't see an image by treating it as a JPEG file is not
surprising. Step 1 in viewing any file is to find out what format it
actually is. Step 2 is to process it appropriately for the particular file
format in question.

John Carson

John Carson said:
This whole subject is off-topic. If, however, you had done a Google
search you would have soon discovered that .fre is a file extension
for a "Creative Digital Blaster Digital VCR file".

It is also described as "Male Format CT". I don't know if this is the same
file type or a different one.