How are you supposed to make a half interesting page in Visual Studio? :-(

Simon Harvey

Hi there everyone,

I have a fairly open ended but simple question that I could really use some
assistance with. When I first bought visual studio (under the student
license) i thought it was great. Especially the design tool for ASP.net. It
was like making websites as easily as VB or C# - Drag and drop - a total
life saver.

But, now that I want to make some more complicated pages I'm finding it
really hard to work in VS. The other option is of course dreamweaver, but
then its not so good at the coding part - only the design part.

So what does everyone else do? I'm not an html or asp genius, so i need to
use a tool like dreamweaver to design with, but i also need a decent
programming environment like Visual Studio. The two just dont seem to get on
though. For example, I've tried to design pages in dreamweaver and then do
the coding in VS - utterly tedious and i seemed to be hitting loads of bugs.

I'd really appreciate any advice on how you geniuses make even remotely
attractive sites (like this one!) :)

Many thanks to anoyone who can help

Simon

Kevin Spencer

I do my HTML for the page in FrontPage, and then copy and paste it into the
page in the VS.Net IDE. From there, I can right-click any form controls to
make them runat server, add WebControls, code, etc.

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

-=Chris=-

I normally design my pages in photoshop (or another graphics program),
simply to identify solid elements that I will need, such as a header row, or
a menu column, things that are easy enough to recreate using standard html.
I then complete the page in a text editor using simple html, and split out
the html code into user controls. From there, I can drag and drop the
header, or the menu, or whatever, into a page and not worry about it. Sure,
you won't see the actual page content at design time, but it's a ctrl+f5
away if you need to preview it. Another advantage of this is that it it
keeps your workspace clean while you're designing actual page content.

I was minding my own business when Kevin Spencer blurted out:

Scott M.

Not sure why you're beating up on Kevin. Didn't sound like he was "blurting
out" anything. By the way, I also do my more complex HTML stuff in
FrontPage and then bring that file (or HTML) into VS.NET.

-=Chris=-

My intention wasn't to beat up on anybody. I thought I was on the parent
post when I clicked reply. Oops. The "blurted out" line, is my default
news client header... no rude intentions there either.

Sorry.

I was minding my own business when Scott M. blurted out:

Scott M.

Ok Chris. Although, you might want to re-think that News Reader header.
Now, I understand that you didn't mean anything by it, but it may not come
across that obvious to others.