How associate two HashMaps

Ricardo Nuno

What do I need to associate a value, from one hashMap to a key from a
new HashMap

thanks

Stefan Ram

Ricardo Nuno said:
What do I need to associate a value, from one hashMap to a key from a
new HashMap

It is hard to parse this sentence with the comma.

»To associate a value to a key« is a little bit vague.

With the same vagueness, the answer is:
map.put( k, map_.get( k_ )),
map.put( map_.get( k_ ), v ),
map.get( k, map_.get( k_ )),
map.get( map_.get( k_ ), v ), or something.

javax.swing.JSnarker

It is hard to parse this sentence with the comma.

»To associate a value to a key« is a little bit vague.

My guess is that he wants a bidirectional map. For that you'd need a
custom class delegating to two internal HashMap instances. Something like

public class BidiMap<K,V> extends AbstractMap<K,V> {
private Map<K,V> map1, map2;
private BidiMap<V,K> reversed;

public BidiMap () {
map1 = new HashMap<K,V>();
map2 = new HashMap<K,V>();
reversed = new BidiMap<K,V>(map2, map1, this);
}

private BidiMap (Map<K,V> map1, Map<K,V> map2, BidiMap<V,K> reversed) {
this.map1 = map1; this.map2 = map2; this.reversed = reversed;
}

private BidiMap<V,K> getReversedMap () {
return reversed;
}

/* Map methods go here. View methods delegate to map1. Modifying
methods operate on both maps, but reverse key and value when
modifying map2. Also, if a value is already in map2, looks
it up in map2 to find the corresponding key and removes
that key from map1 before adding the new mappings to both maps.
*/
}

Changes to the reversed map will be reflected in the original and vice
versa.

Roedy Green

What do I need to associate a value, from one hashMap to a key from a
new HashMap

Think about this first without the generics. You want a HashMap with
a key and a value. What sort of thing is the key? What is the value?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/hashmap.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lew

javax.swing.JSnarker said:
My guess is that he wants a bidirectional map. For that you'd need a
custom class delegating to two internal HashMap instances. Something like

public class BidiMap<K,V> extends AbstractMap<K,V> {

In Apache Commons Collections 'BidiMap' is an interface with a double handful
of implementing classes:
[...]

JSnarker's example is a good one for understanding the mechanics of the
bidirectional map. The Apache Commons libraries are the go-to source for
most convenience types not in the standard API.

If you need a different kind of association, well, there are all kinds of ways
to do that, as Stefan pointed out.

Another possibility is that you're looking for a way to associate more thanone value with the same key. There are a number of ways to do that:

Here's one (not tried or even compiled here, so might need tweaking):

public interface Pair<L, R>
{
L getLeft();
R getRight();
}

public class BasePair<L, R> implements Pair<L, R>
{
private final L left;
private final R right;
public BasePair(L left, R right)
{
this.left = left;
this.right = right;
}

public L getLeft() { return left; }
public R getRight() { return right; }
}

public class MultiAssociator<K, L, R>
{
private final Map<K, Pair<L, R>> associator = new HashMap<>();

public Pair<L, R> put(K key, Pair<L, R> pair)
{
if (key == null || pair == null)
{
throw new IllegalArgumentException("Argument cannot be null");
}
return associator.put(key, pair);
}

public Pair<L, R> put(K key, L left, R right)
{
return associator.put(key, new Pair<>(left, right));
}

public Pair<L, R> put(K key, L left)
{
if (key == null)
{
throw new IllegalArgumentException("Argument cannot be null");
}
Pair<L, R> value = associator.get(key);
Pair<L, R> repla = value == null? new Pair<>(left, null)
: new Pair<>(left, value.getRight());
return associator.put(key, repla);
}

public Pair<L, R> put(K key, R right)
{
if (key == null)
{
throw new IllegalArgumentException("Argument cannot be null");
}
Pair<L, R> value = associator.get(key);
Pair<L, R> repla = value == null? new Pair(null, right)
: new Pair(value.getLeft(), right);
return associator.put(key, repla);
}

public Pair<L, R> get(K key)