How can an element be undefined if its in the DOC definition?

lawrence

I can't get this page to show in Internet Explorer, so I assume the
error is quite grave. I'm using a PHP script to write the RSS file.
In Netscape the page shows up as plain text.

"Item" is used in RSS .91 examples, so how can it be undefined?

I'm running this page:

http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml

through this validator:

http://rss.scripting.com/?url=http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml

I can't get this page to validate. I'm getting two errors:

1. pubDate must be an RFC-822 date 9 9
2. Undefined rss element: item 12 7

The second one makes no sense to me. "item" is used in all the
examples they give for .91 RSS, so why is the validator giving me
grief?

Martin Honnen

lawrence said:
I can't get this page to show in Internet Explorer, so I assume the
error is quite grave. I'm using a PHP script to write the RSS file.
In Netscape the page shows up as plain text.

"Item" is used in RSS .91 examples, so how can it be undefined?

I'm running this page:

http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml

through this validator:

http://rss.scripting.com/?url=http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml

I can't get this page to validate. I'm getting two errors:

1. pubDate must be an RFC-822 date 9 9
2. Undefined rss element: item 12 7

The second one makes no sense to me. "item" is used in all the
examples they give for .91 RSS, so why is the validator giving me
grief?

Try putting the <item> elements inside of the <channel> element

lawrence

Martin Honnen said:
Try putting the <item> elements inside of the <channel> element

I'll give it a try, but every example I've looked at so far has the
items outside of the channel.

Johannes Koch

lawrence said:
but every example I've looked at so far has the
items outside of the channel.

Did you read, what Andy Dingley told you in his answer to your previous
post?

Martin Honnen

lawrence said:
I'll give it a try, but every example I've looked at so far has the
items outside of the channel.

Well, look into the dtd, the one that your file references shows that
item is a child of channel