How can an element be undefined if its in the DOC definition?

Discussion in 'XML' started by lawrence, May 5, 2004.

  1. lawrence

    lawrence Guest

    I can't get this page to show in Internet Explorer, so I assume the
    error is quite grave. I'm using a PHP script to write the RSS file.
    In Netscape the page shows up as plain text.

    "Item" is used in RSS .91 examples, so how can it be undefined?

    >>> (lawrence) wrote in message news:<>...

    I'm running this page:

    http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml

    through this validator:

    http://rss.scripting.com/?url=http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml

    I can't get this page to validate. I'm getting two errors:

    1. pubDate must be an RFC-822 date 9 9
    2. Undefined rss element: item 12 7

    The second one makes no sense to me. "item" is used in all the
    examples they give for .91 RSS, so why is the validator giving me
    grief?
    lawrence, May 5, 2004

  2. lawrence wrote:

    > I can't get this page to show in Internet Explorer, so I assume the
    > error is quite grave. I'm using a PHP script to write the RSS file.
    > In Netscape the page shows up as plain text.
    >
    > "Item" is used in RSS .91 examples, so how can it be undefined?

    > I'm running this page:
    >
    > http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml
    >

    > through this validator:
    >
    > http://rss.scripting.com/?url=http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml
    >

    > I can't get this page to validate. I'm getting two errors:
    >
    > 1. pubDate must be an RFC-822 date 9 9
    > 2. Undefined rss element: item 12 7
    >
    > The second one makes no sense to me. "item" is used in all the
    > examples they give for .91 RSS, so why is the validator giving me
    > grief?

    Try putting the <item> elements inside of the <channel> element

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, May 5, 2004

  3. lawrence

    lawrence Guest

    Martin Honnen <> wrote in message news:<40990d55$0$10897
    > > through this validator:
    > >
    > > http://rss.scripting.com/?url=http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml
    > >

    > > I can't get this page to validate. I'm getting two errors:
    > >
    > > 1. pubDate must be an RFC-822 date 9 9
    > > 2. Undefined rss element: item 12 7
    > >
    > > The second one makes no sense to me. "item" is used in all the
    > > examples they give for .91 RSS, so why is the validator giving me
    > > grief?

    > Try putting the <item> elements inside of the <channel> element

    I'll give it a try, but every example I've looked at so far has the
    items outside of the channel.
    lawrence, May 5, 2004
  4. lawrence wrote:
    > but every example I've looked at so far has the
    > items outside of the channel.

    Did you read, what Andy Dingley told you in his answer to your previous
    post?
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)
    Johannes Koch, May 6, 2004
  5. lawrence wrote:

    > Martin Honnen <> wrote in message news:<40990d55$0$10897
    >
    >>>through this validator:
    >>>
    >>>http://rss.scripting.com/?url=http://www.krubner.com/rss/page938.xml
    >>>

    >>>I can't get this page to validate. I'm getting two errors:
    >>>
    >>>1. pubDate must be an RFC-822 date 9 9
    >>>2. Undefined rss element: item 12 7
    >>>
    >>>The second one makes no sense to me. "item" is used in all the
    >>>examples they give for .91 RSS, so why is the validator giving me
    >>>grief?

    >>Try putting the <item> elements inside of the <channel> element

    > I'll give it a try, but every example I've looked at so far has the
    > items outside of the channel.

    Well, look into the dtd, the one that your file references shows that
    item is a child of channel

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/