How can ASP support multiple languages?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ray at, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. Ray at

    Ray at Guest

    "CM" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, there:
    >
    > I have some questions, I hope someone can briefly describe how ASP (not
    > ASP.Net) to do the following things:
    >
    > 1) Get real-time information from other web site such as tracking via
    > Fed-Ex;

    Your best bet is to research with Fed Ex to see if they offer a component,
    rather than trying to use xmlhttp to try to "screen scrape" their site or
    something like that.

    > 2) Real-time credit card charging via a payment gateway such as WorldPay;

    Your processor should either provide you with a component to use on your
    server a link to their server and transactions will take place there.

    > 3) How to support multiple languages.

    Write your pages in multiple langues. :/

    Ray at work

    CM, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Ray at

    CM Guest

    Thank you very much for the quick answer!
    So, for the multiple languages question, that means ASP doesn't support
    multiple languages. But ASP.Net can, Am I right?
    CM

    CM, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Ray at

    Ray at Guest

    By multiple languages, you mean English and Portuguese, for example, not
    vbscript and jscript, yes?

    What I believe that some people do is put all their page contents in a
    database, and have a table (or column, or whatever) for each language. And
    to determine the language to default to, you can use
    request.SErvervariables("HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"). Maybe something like:

    <%
    Dim sLanguage
    sLanguage = UCase(Left(Request.sErverVariables("HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"), 2))
    sSQL = "SELECT [PageContent] FROM [" & sLanguage & "] WHERE [PageID]=1"
    Set oADO = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oADO.Open YourConnectionString
    Set rsContent = oADO.Execute(sSQL)
    sContent = rsContent.Fields.Item(0).Value
    rsContent.Close : Set rsContent = Nothing
    oADO.Close : Set oADO = Nothing

    Response.Write sContent
    %>

    This is where you'd have a database with a table named EN and a table named
    PT, and those tables would contain the content in the appropriate language.
    This, of course, isn't how you'd have to structure your DB, but in theory,
    this is one way to do it.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Nov 12, 2003
  5. Ray at

    CM Guest

    Thanks a lot! This is just what I want to know.
    CM

    CM, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Ray at

    Arnold Shore Guest

    Distinguish between these languages in the user interface, or in the data
    you capture and present. These are different issues.

    In the latter case, I use UTF-8 as the charset, which ACCESS supports. I'm
    handling Cyrillic, Arabic and Hebrew, and the CJK far-eastern languages as
    well as the western ones, in an English ASP user interface. No sweat. HTH.

    AS

    Arnold Shore, Nov 13, 2003