How Can I Catch Framework Errors

MS News \(MS ILM\)

Hello, No one answered this yet, will you

By TonyG 8/23/2003 3:45 AM
My site uses the fairly standard approach of trapping errors in the
Application_Error event and dealing with them there.

However, we occasionally get errors that are generated by the Framework
itself and are this not trappeable by our ASP.Net code.

A good example is if someone requests a page just as the site DLL is
being uploaded, an error such as "Cannot access file XXXXXX as it is
being used by another process" is generated.

These errors are dreadful for a number of reasons.

1). They are butt ugly
2). They contain a plethora of sensitive information including
details like dll name, appBase, drive paths etc etc.
3). They do not appear to be trappeable

MY question is this. How can I catch these pages and deal with them in a
more graceful manner?

I NEED to be able to serve a custom page to my users as this page is a
horror.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

John Saunders

MS News (MS ILM) said:
Hello, No one answered this yet, will you

I didn't answer because I don't know of a way to solve the problem.

In these cases, your application can't handle the problem because in these
cases, you don't really _have_ an application. Instead, you've got ASP.NET
complaining about why it can't pass the request to your application.

The solution would have to be within ASP.NET itself.

MS News \(MS ILM\)

Agree

John Saunders said:
I'd say it's worth a bug report.

If nothing else, maybe they shouldn't be putting sensitive information into
the output.

Ravi Sankar

But, i was under the impression that the custom error tag
under web config file is able to handle application level
errors also. If u have set the mode to "On", you must be
able to hide these errors. I have not tried this out
(since u have pointed that it has not even reached the
application level).
May be i will try and let u know.

thanks and regards,
s.ravi sankar