How can I check whether the Server has database drivers installed?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by mark4asp, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. mark4asp

    mark4asp Guest

    Hello,

    Is there a simple way to check whether a database driver is available
    on a remote server? I only have ftp access so I can only run ASP
    scripts.

    An ASP application on a host has died again.

    I'm getting either:

    Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
    Cannot open database ''. It may not be a database that your
    application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
    /news_archive.asp, line 21

    or

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
    '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
    recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
    /news_archive.asp, line 23

    depending on which driver I try to get it working with.

    The last time it died it was because the host changed the server,
    directory path and killed the JET driver, replacing it with ODBC.

    Now, by the look of it, the ODBC driver may have vanished too.

    Is there a simple way for me to check what drivers are available?

    I've just tried it on my local machine and it works with either
    driver.
    mark4asp, Jul 3, 2004

  2. mark4asp

    Steven Burn Guest

    Tried simply asking your host?

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jul 3, 2004

  3. mark4asp

    Richard Marr Guest

    Have you tried getting a copy of the MDB and opening it with Access ?
    Perhaps it is corrupted?

    rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All
    rights reserved."

    Richard Marr
    Microsoft IIS Support Professional
    Richard Marr, Jul 3, 2004
  4. mark4asp

    Zenobia Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:54:59 GMT,
    richard[MS]@online.microsoft.com (Richard Marr) wrote:

    >Have you tried getting a copy of the MDB and opening it with Access ?
    >Perhaps it is corrupted?

    Thanks. I FTPed it over locally and opened it. It was OK but it
    is an earlier version, '97. So I had to open that with Office
    2002 but it opened OK. I could scroll the records and view the
    latest data.

    I think the host must've been messing about with the server
    again. I wouldn't be the first time. I wouldn't mind except ...
    if they move our application to a new location on a different
    server you'd think they'd have the decency to tell me which
    version of Windows, service packs, database drivers, ASP they'd
    installed.

    I'd thought that would be standard practice.

    Zenobia, Jul 3, 2004
  5. mark4asp

    Richard Marr Guest

    Not sure if you got this resolved yet but you could try the code against
    another database.
    If that fails as well the issue could be with the installation of Mdac.
    For that you wil have to workk with yur Isp .

    Richard Marr, Jul 6, 2004
  6. mark4asp

    Zenobia Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:21:52 GMT,
    richard[MS]@online.microsoft.com (Richard Marr) wrote:

    >Not sure if you got this resolved yet but you could try the code against
    >another database.
    >If that fails as well the issue could be with the installation of Mdac.
    >For that you wil have to workk with yur Isp .
    >

    >"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    >rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All
    >rights reserved."
    >
    >Richard Marr
    >Microsoft IIS Support Professional

    The ISP have fixed it now but they haven't bothered telling me.
    Ah, the perils of free hosting!
    Zenobia, Jul 7, 2004