How can I check whether the Server has database drivers installed?

mark4asp

Hello,

Is there a simple way to check whether a database driver is available
on a remote server? I only have ftp access so I can only run ASP
scripts.

An ASP application on a host has died again.

I'm getting either:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
Cannot open database ''. It may not be a database that your
application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
/news_archive.asp, line 21

or

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
'(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
/news_archive.asp, line 23

depending on which driver I try to get it working with.

The last time it died it was because the host changed the server,
directory path and killed the JET driver, replacing it with ODBC.

Now, by the look of it, the ODBC driver may have vanished too.

Is there a simple way for me to check what drivers are available?

I've just tried it on my local machine and it works with either
driver.

Richard Marr

Have you tried getting a copy of the MDB and opening it with Access ?
Perhaps it is corrupted?

rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved."

Richard Marr
Microsoft IIS Support Professional

Zenobia

Have you tried getting a copy of the MDB and opening it with Access ?
Perhaps it is corrupted?

Thanks. I FTPed it over locally and opened it. It was OK but it
is an earlier version, '97. So I had to open that with Office
2002 but it opened OK. I could scroll the records and view the
latest data.

I think the host must've been messing about with the server
again. I wouldn't be the first time. I wouldn't mind except ...
if they move our application to a new location on a different
server you'd think they'd have the decency to tell me which
version of Windows, service packs, database drivers, ASP they'd
installed.

I'd thought that would be standard practice.

Richard Marr

Not sure if you got this resolved yet but you could try the code against
another database.
If that fails as well the issue could be with the installation of Mdac.
For that you wil have to workk with yur Isp .

rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved."

Richard Marr
Microsoft IIS Support Professional

Zenobia

Not sure if you got this resolved yet but you could try the code against
another database.
If that fails as well the issue could be with the installation of Mdac.
For that you wil have to workk with yur Isp .

rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved."

Richard Marr
Microsoft IIS Support Professional

The ISP have fixed it now but they haven't bothered telling me.
Ah, the perils of free hosting!