How can I compile all of the files?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Dogukan Bayraktar, Dec 22, 2012.

  1. Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?
    Dogukan Bayraktar, Dec 22, 2012

  2. Dogukan Bayraktar

    Shao Miller Guest

    On 12/22/2012 09:20, Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I
    > don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    Hello!

    Please try to limit your line length by using the <ENTER> key whenever
    the line gets a bit long. (See what I've done above, for example.)

    What are the names of the files? What OS are you using?

    - Shao Miller
    Shao Miller, Dec 22, 2012

  3. Dogukan Bayraktar

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 12/22/2012 09:20 AM, Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    The answer to your question depends upon which compiler you're using,
    which operating system you're using, and whether or not you're using an
    IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It also depends upon the
    features of the code you're compiling - some features only work properly
    if you select the right compiler options. If this project was put
    together by someone else, they should have given you some kind of build
    instructions - but of course, not everything that should happen does
    happen. Look for a file with a name like README.txt or makefile.
    --
    James Kuyper
    James Kuyper, Dec 22, 2012
  4. Dogukan Bayraktar

    BartC Guest

    "Dogukan Bayraktar" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't know
    > that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    Are there a lot of files? Because if you're not familiar with building large
    C applications, then this can get difficult! Especially if you don't use
    Unix or Linux, as a lot of open source C software seems designed for that
    kind of platform.

    See if there is a 'binary' version of this project, that will run
    straightaway, if that is all you want to do. (This is what I do too most of
    the time.)

    --
    Bartc
    BartC, Dec 22, 2012
  5. I'm using Ubuntu, and I've downloaded the files from freecode.com. There are a lot of files.. And there is a makefile in directory.. In this case, what should I do to compile the files? I want to run the program.
    Dogukan Bayraktar, Dec 22, 2012
  6. Dogukan Bayraktar

    Paul Guest

    Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > I'm using Ubuntu, and I've downloaded the files from freecode.com. There are a lot of files.. And there is a makefile in directory.. In this case, what should I do to compile the files? I want to run the program.

    What is the name of the project ?

    Can you give the URL of the project (web link), so we
    can visit the site ?

    Freecode.com has many projects, and you have not identified
    which one.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 22, 2012

    Here is : http://freecode.com/projects/yafc
    Dogukan Bayraktar, Dec 22, 2012
  8. On Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:20:45 PM UTC, Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C,
    > but I don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    If you're on a Unix type system, like Linux

    If all the files are in the same directory, cc (or gcc) *.c -lm. You might
    also need to link other libraries.
    If they're not in the same directory, specify the paths,
    e.g. gcc *.c ../superlib/*.c -lm

    If you're on Winodws, load the files into your IDE and add them to the
    project, using the menus and "add existing file to project" option or
    similar. Then compile from, usually, the debug menu.

    The compiler will give you an error saying something like "symbol xxx not
    found" if you miss out a source file, OR if you are missing a library.

    --
    Visit Malcolm's website
    http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/www
    Malcolm McLean, Dec 22, 2012
  9. 22 Aralık 2012 Cumartesi 16:20:45 UTC+2 tarihinde Dogukan Bayraktar yazdı:
    > Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    Thanks everyone! There is a file called "INSTALL" and I've read it, so I'vewritten the following commands on Terminal and it's been compiled :)

    # ./configure
    # make
    # make install
    Dogukan Bayraktar, Dec 22, 2012
  10. Dogukan Bayraktar

    Paul Guest

    Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > 22 Aralık 2012 Cumartesi 16:20:45 UTC+2 tarihinde Dogukan Bayraktar yazdı:
    >> Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    > Thanks everyone! There is a file called "INSTALL" and I've read it, so I've written the following commands on Terminal and it's been compiled :)
    >
    > # ./configure
    > # make
    > # make install

    Excellent. Just caught your post, as I was opening the INSTALL file :)

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 22, 2012
  11. Dogukan Bayraktar

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 12/22/2012 12:17 PM, Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > 22 Aralık 2012 Cumartesi 19:14:00 UTC+2 tarihinde Paul yazdı:
    >> Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using Ubuntu, and I've downloaded the files from freecode.com. There are a lot of files.. And there is a makefile in directory.. In this case, what should I do to compile the files? I want to run the program.

    >> What is the name of the project ?
    >>
    >> Can you give the URL of the project (web link), so we
    >> can visit the site ?
    >>
    >> Freecode.com has many projects, and you have not identified
    >> which one.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Here is : http://freecode.com/projects/yafc

    The download includes a file named INSTALL. Read it and follow the
    instructions.
    --
    James Kuyper
    James Kuyper, Dec 22, 2012
  12. Dogukan Bayraktar

    Ike Naar Guest

    On 2012-12-22, Dogukan Bayraktar <> wrote:
    > 22 Aral?k 2012 Cumartesi 19:14:00 UTC+2 tarihinde Paul yazd?:
    >> Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm using Ubuntu, and I've downloaded the files from freecode.com.
    >> > There are a lot of files.. And there is a makefile in directory.
    >> > In this case, what should I do to compile the files?
    >> > I want to run the program.

    >> What is the name of the project ?
    >> Can you give the URL of the project (web link), so we
    >> can visit the site ?
    >> Freecode.com has many projects, and you have not identified
    >> which one.

    > Here is : http://freecode.com/projects/yafc

    Have you read the file named INSTALL ?
    Ike Naar, Dec 23, 2012
  13. 23 Aralık 2012 Pazar 13:39:38 UTC+2 tarihinde Ike Naar yazdı:
    > On 2012-12-22, Dogukan Bayraktar <> wrote:
    >
    > > 22 Aral?k 2012 Cumartesi 19:14:00 UTC+2 tarihinde Paul yazd?:

    > >> What is the name of the project ?

    > >> Can you give the URL of the project (web link), so we

    > >> can visit the site ?

    > >> Freecode.com has many projects, and you have not identified

    > >> which one.

    > > Here is : http://freecode.com/projects/yafc

    > Have you read the file named INSTALL ?

    Yes, I've read it and i've solved the problem, thanks :)
    Dogukan Bayraktar, Dec 23, 2012
  14. Ike Naar <> writes:

> [...]

    <snip>

    <snip>
    >> Here is : http://freecode.com/projects/yafc

    > Have you read the file named INSTALL ?

    Given the limited information, "sudo apt-get install yafc" might be
    enough.

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Dec 23, 2012
  15. Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the last revision date ?

    -rasp

    --
    Where's that fucking 'any' key ?
    Ralph Spitzner, Dec 24, 2012
  16. Ralph Spitzner <> writes:
    > Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    >> Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't
    >> know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    > Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the last revision date ?

    The last revision date of what? How is that relevant to the question?

    Will write code for food.
    Keith Thompson, Dec 24, 2012
  17. Dogukan Bayraktar

    osmium Guest

    "Keith Thompson" wrote:

    > Ralph Spitzner <> writes:
    >> Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    >>> Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't
    >>> know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    >> Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the last revision date ?

    > The last revision date of what? How is that relevant to the question?

    Relevant? This is Usenet for God's sake.
    osmium, Dec 24, 2012
  18. Keith Thompson wrote:
    [...]
    > The last revision date of what? How is that relevant to the question?

    The revision date of that ftp thing, must be a pretty perfect
    perfect program since it hasn't changed for the last seven years :)

    --
    Where's that fucking 'any' key ?
    Ralph Spitzner, Dec 25, 2012
  19. Dogukan Bayraktar

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 12/25/2012 04:27 AM, Ralph Spitzner wrote:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    > [...]
    >> The last revision date of what? How is that relevant to the question?
    >>

    > The revision date of that ftp thing, must be a pretty perfect
    > perfect program since it hasn't changed for the last seven years :)

    I doubt it - there's 14 open bug reports and 14 feature requests filed
    for yafc, of which 10 and 3, respectively, were opened since the last
    release - none of those have been assigned to anybody. So the project
    seems to have been abandoned. However, there has been a small amount of
    activity on the developers mailing list since that date, a lot of it in
    2012, which would seem to contradict that conclusion. Perhaps, if you're
    interested, you should investigate.
    --
    James Kuyper
    James Kuyper, Dec 25, 2012
  20. On Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:20:45 PM UTC+8, Dogukan Bayraktar wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to C, and i've got files of the project of C, but I don't know that how to the compile all of files. How can I do it?

    I think the ANSI C in 1990 reference is a classical
    one and the K&R one is helpful, too.

    Anyway in C, the concepts about the stack and
    the memory manipulations are all vulnerable
    to fail in the run time.
    88888 Dihedral, Dec 28, 2012