How can I convert PDF, TIF, or JPG to GIF in java?

ffluhart

I'm looking for a light-weight, free way for converting (and hopefully
resizing) image files that are in PDF, TIF, or JPG format into GIF
format. This has to be compatible with J2ME (not sure exactly which
version, but it is analogous to Java 1.3).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Joshua Cranmer

I'm looking for a light-weight, free way for converting (and hopefully
resizing) image files that are in PDF, TIF, or JPG format into GIF
format. This has to be compatible with J2ME (not sure exactly which
version, but it is analogous to Java 1.3).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Try finding a newer image library; because of the LZW patent dispute,
Java did not add GIF writing capabilities until Java 1.5/1.6. Another
way would be to compile using Java 1.6 (and bundling the gif image i/o
library) using the -target 1.3 option.

Andrew Thompson

I'm looking for a light-weight, ..

What does that mean to you?

Small download footprint? Small memory footprint?
Fast to run? No features? Been on a diet? No
coding on your part?
..free ..

I will not ask the 'budget' then.
...way for converting (and hopefully
resizing) image files that are in PDF, TIF, or JPG format into GIF
format.

This problem might be broken into two parts:
1) Reading the input formats
2) Writing the output format.
..This has to be compatible with J2ME

What 'this'? The code or the resulting GIF?
I know of code that will write GIF's in J2SE
(pre 1.3), but I doubt it would run on J2ME,
*or* that it would make much sense to be
doing image conversion in J2ME.