    And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

    Thank you very much
    Coca
    Coca, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Coca

    Sidney Cadot Guest

    Re: How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO a programin windows2000/xp platform?

    Coca wrote:

    > HI, all
    >
    > How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
    > platform.

    You question is off-topic here, since this newsgroup only deals with
    non-platform-specific C questions. Here's a link providing some
    topicality guidance, as well as some links to newsgroups that may be
    better suited for providing help:

    http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben/writings/clc/off-topic.html

    Best regards,

    Sidney
    Sidney Cadot, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Re: How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO a programin windows2000/xp platform?

    Coca wrote:
    > HI, all
    >
    > How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
    > platform.
    >
    > The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
    > And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.
    >
    > Thank you very much
    > Coca

    I am unable to locate a question or issue relating to the C language in
    your post. Are you sure you have the right group? Questions about
    particular C implementations or particular programs are off-topic here.

    -Kevin
    Kevin Goodsell, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Re: How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO a programin windows2000/xp platform?

    Coca wrote:
    > HI, all
    >
    > How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
    > platform.
    >
    > The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
    > And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

    You need a more specific question than that. If there are C issues, we can
    address them here, but we need to know /what/ we are addressing first. If
    there are OS/2-specific functions that are giving you a problem, I'm afraid
    you will need to go elsewhere to find what to do about porting your
    programs, since none of OS/2 or Windows 2000 or Windows XP functionality is
    part of the C programming language.

    --
    Martin Ambuhl
    Martin Ambuhl, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Coca

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > HI, all
    >
    > How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
    > platform.
    >
    > The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
    > And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.
    >
    > Thank you very much
    > Coca

    Add a line after line 105 in the first source file (alphabetically,
    case insensitive) in the project that says:

    /* Compiler, please don't fail me know */

    Then recompile. Tada!

    --
    Randy Howard
    2reply remove FOOBAR
    Randy Howard, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Randy Howard <> spoke thus:

    > /* Compiler, please don't fail me know */

    ^^^^

    Syntax error for strict Queen's English compilers, although yours may
    support this nonstandard extension. Also presumes that your compiler
    is your friend and not your enemy.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Coca <> scribbled the following:
    > HI, all

    > How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
    > platform.

    > The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
    > And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

    Then you're pretty much screwed. There isn't yet an automated tool that
    would translate any platform-specific code into any other platform-
    specific code.
    I would suggest you go over your code and note down the OS/2-specific
    parts, find out from the OS/2 API what they mean, try to find similar
    parts in the Win2000/XP API, and use them. It will probably take from
    a few days to several months, possibly years, depending on how big
    your program is. If you can't do it by yourself, hire a consultant.
    $500 will probably get the guy (or girl) to talk to you. With any luck
    you'll have change left over from $20,000 when the job is done.
    What, you were expecting a genie in a bottle?

    "A bee could, in effect, gather its junk. Llamas (no poor quadripeds) tune
    and vow excitedly zooming."
    - JIPsoft
    Joona I Palaste, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Re: How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO a programin windows2000/xp platform?

    Joona I Palaste wrote:

    > Coca <> scribbled the following:
    >
    >>The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
    >>And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

    > Then you're pretty much screwed. There isn't yet an automated tool that
    > would translate any platform-specific code into any other platform-
    > specific code.
    > I would suggest you go over your code and note down the OS/2-specific
    > parts, find out from the OS/2 API what they mean, try to find similar
    > parts in the Win2000/XP API, and use them. It will probably take from
    > a few days to several months, possibly years, depending on how big
    > your program is. If you can't do it by yourself, hire a consultant.
    > $500 will probably get the guy (or girl) to talk to you. With any luck
    > you'll have change left over from $20,000 when the job is done.
    > What, you were expecting a genie in a bottle?

    I knew there was a reason that we're so interested in portability.

    "portability often pays off in unexpected ways." --Dennis Ritchie

    -Kevin
    Kevin Goodsell, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Coca

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <btepab$rnp$>,
    says...
    > Randy Howard <> spoke thus:
    >
    > > /* Compiler, please don't fail me know */

    > ^^^^
    >
    > Syntax error for strict Queen's English compilers,

    Ack... isn't that always the way?

    --
    Randy Howard
    2reply remove FOOBAR
    Randy Howard, Jan 6, 2004
  10. Coca

    CBFalconer Guest

    Coca wrote:

    > How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO
    > windows2000/xp platform.
    >
    > The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
    > And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

    On your OS/2 platform, install gcc.

    For each file, compile with:

    gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -O1 -c filename.c

    Correct the first error.
    If unable because of some non-standard usage, move the function
    to another file.
    Repeat until no errors.

    When done, check that by adding the non-standard file to the
    system you can recreate the original system.

    Now think of ways to implement that non-standard file.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    CBFalconer, Jan 6, 2004
  11. On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:41:37 +0800, in comp.lang.c , Coca
    <> wrote:

    >HI, all
    >
    >How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
    >platform.

    This is going to be tricky as it probably uses lots of OS/2 system
    functions.

    >The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
    >And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

    There is no quick way, unless you can buy an OS/2 emulation library
    for Win32. I very much doubt that a useful one exists, given that OS/2
    was generally disliked by MS.

    So I guess you have to analyse each error, and write a dummy function
    with the same parameters, which then called a Win32 function which did
    the same as the OS/2 one was supposed to.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Jan 12, 2004
  12. Mark McIntyre <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > There is no quick way, unless you can buy an OS/2 emulation library
    > for Win32. I very much doubt that a useful one exists, given that OS/2
    > was generally disliked by MS.

    Errrmmm... OS/2 was partly written by MS and went on to form the basis
    for WinNT when MS and IBM went their separate ways. You can still see
    traces of OS/2 in WinXP today.
    Slartibartfast, Jan 13, 2004
  13. Coca

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 13 Jan 2004 03:43:19 -0800,
    (Slartibartfast) wrote:

    >Mark McIntyre <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> There is no quick way, unless you can buy an OS/2 emulation library
    >> for Win32. I very much doubt that a useful one exists, given that OS/2
    >> was generally disliked by MS.

    >Errrmmm... OS/2 was partly written by MS and went on to form the basis
    >for WinNT when MS and IBM went their separate ways. You can still see
    >traces of OS/2 in WinXP today.

    Doesn't change the fact that MS not only disliked OS/2, but
    successfully pressured IBM to stop selling the retail version. During
    the time they were helping to develop it, they were also developing
    Windows, and withdrew from the OS/2 venture as soon as they had a
    competing product.

    That said, NT, and apparently Win2000 (it's in the help) have an "OS/2
    subsystem" which will run 16-bit OS/2 console programs. I don't know
    if it's still present in XP.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Coca

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    Re: How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO a programin windows2000/xp platform?

    Alan Balmer wrote:
    [snip]
    > That said, NT, and apparently Win2000 (it's in the help) have an "OS/2
    > subsystem" which will run 16-bit OS/2 console programs. I don't know
    > if it's still present in XP.

    No, it isn't present in XP (I've had occasion to ask).

    Lew Pitcher, Jan 13, 2004
  15. Alan Balmer <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 13 Jan 2004 03:43:19 -0800,
    > (Slartibartfast) wrote:
    >
    > >Mark McIntyre <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >
    > >> There is no quick way, unless you can buy an OS/2 emulation library
    > >> for Win32. I very much doubt that a useful one exists, given that OS/2
    > >> was generally disliked by MS.

    > >Errrmmm... OS/2 was partly written by MS and went on to form the basis
    > >for WinNT when MS and IBM went their separate ways. You can still see
    > >traces of OS/2 in WinXP today.

    > Doesn't change the fact that MS not only disliked OS/2, but
    > successfully pressured IBM to stop selling the retail version. During
    > the time they were helping to develop it, they were also developing
    > Windows, and withdrew from the OS/2 venture as soon as they had a
    > competing product.
    >
    > That said, NT, and apparently Win2000 (it's in the help) have an "OS/2
    > subsystem" which will run 16-bit OS/2 console programs. I don't know
    > if it's still present in XP.

    For a product they disliked they stuck with it for an awfully long
    time - OS/2 1.3 was the only supported OS for SQL Server for a good
    couple of years after WinNT became available.

    Never had cause to use NT's OS/2 subsystem, although I knew of its
    existence in NT3.x at least. I bet you can still get it for XP if you
    know where to look, even if you have to run it in W2K compatibility
    mode.
    Slartibartfast, Jan 14, 2004
  16. Coca

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 14 Jan 2004 07:08:46 -0800,
    (Slartibartfast) wrote:

    >Alan Balmer <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On 13 Jan 2004 03:43:19 -0800,
    >> (Slartibartfast) wrote:

    >> >Errrmmm... OS/2 was partly written by MS and went on to form the basis
    >> >for WinNT when MS and IBM went their separate ways. You can still see
    >> >traces of OS/2 in WinXP today.

    >> Doesn't change the fact that MS not only disliked OS/2, but
    >> successfully pressured IBM to stop selling the retail version. During
    >> the time they were helping to develop it, they were also developing
    >> Windows, and withdrew from the OS/2 venture as soon as they had a
    >> competing product.
    >>
    >> That said, NT, and apparently Win2000 (it's in the help) have an "OS/2
    >> subsystem" which will run 16-bit OS/2 console programs. I don't know
    >> if it's still present in XP.

    >For a product they disliked they stuck with it for an awfully long
    >time - OS/2 1.3 was the only supported OS for SQL Server for a good
    >couple of years after WinNT became available.

    I don't remember the dates, but that was likely the Sybase SQL Server,
    before MS modified it. Sybase later regretted making that deal. The
    product was actually available for other OS's, but MS sold only the
    OS/2 version.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting