how can I create a properties collection for a user control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by news_server.nc.rr.com, May 24, 2005.

  1. How can I create a properties collection for a user control? (or reference
    what's there if it already exist)

    I have a user control that displays an HTML table with several values. For
    each field's value I have a public property that is set from a repeater's
    itemdatabound event. In the ItemDataBound Sub, I use something like the
    following where the datasource column name is always the same as the form's
    property name:

    DisplayTable.FIELD1 = DataBinder.Eval(e.Item.DataItem, "FIELD1")

    I have to go through and set approx. 30 fields just like this but I'd like
    to do something that is completely independent of the number of columns
    returned plus I'd rather not have to name each property or field should one
    be deleted or added.... Something like:

    dim x as property
    for each x in MyUserControlInstance.PropertiesCollection
    MyUserControlInstance..x= DataBinder.Eval(e.Item.DataItem, x)
    next

    I've tried several different approaches but can't get it working . The
    compiler identifies the .x part after the control name as the source of the
    error. I can't recall right this second if the message was 'identifier
    expected' or 'expression expected' but I think it was one of these.

    Mike
    news_server.nc.rr.com, May 24, 2005