How can i deploy a database with Membership Tables?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mahernoz, May 18, 2007.

  1. Mahernoz

    Mahernoz Guest

    Hi Everyone!

    I have a problem here.
    I have used the latest asp.net membership & profiles functionality in
    my site.

    I have 2 roles admin and user.
    I also have a user named admin.

    Now, my website is running perfectly, but i want to deploy it.
    My database has those tables developed by me and also membership
    tables (which were
    created by using aspnet_regsql wizard).

    Do i need to run aspnet_regsql on hosted database? Is it possible to
    do that?

    Although i have programming experience. I have no deployment
    experience.

    How can i sucessfully deploy my website? So that i don't loose any of
    my data and it works
    fine with all the nice membership features?

    2nd Question is just for my curiosity: is it necessary that i need sql
    2005 only. Is Membership table supported in sql 2000?

    Hope to receive a reply asap.

    Regards,
    Mahernoz

    Mahernoz, May 18, 2007

  2. It depends on your set up on the other side. Possibilities:

    1. Have a production server that allows database attach. If so, deploy with
    the SQL database and change the connection string to use the attach syntax.
    You wil then be up and running. This is common in scenarios with SQL Server
    Express.

    2. Have a database on the production server (or another machine). If this is
    your network, you can copy the file and attach it. If an ISP, you can use
    the SQL import/export to the address supplied for your database and migrate
    all of the tables/data. You then adjust the connection string to fit the
    connection string needed for this database.

    Do you see a trend? It is always attach data or migrate data and then change
    the connection string.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 18, 2007

  3. Mahernoz

    clintonG Guest

    If the server is yours then yes, you can run aspnet_regsql. If you're being
    hosted you won't have access to aspnet_regsql but once you use the host
    providers control panel to create a new database you can run scripts that
    will do the same thing as running aspnet_regsql from the command line.

    Yes, Membership can be used with SQL2000

    Cowboy's comments noted, when deploying your data and database to the remote
    server you'll have to learn what is called Replication [1].

    You'll also want to determine if your hosting service supports the SQL
    Server Hosting Toolkit [2].

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    [1]
    http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/sql-server-replication-crib-sheet/
    [2] http://www.codeplex.com/sqlhost

    clintonG, May 18, 2007
  4. Mahernoz

    sloan Guest

    Check here:

    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx

    and

    http://www.aspcode.net/articles/l_e...rship-provider-with-SQL-2000_article_279.aspx

    One way I solved the " here and now there " was to write a little app that
    added my

    Users
    Roles
    User (to) Roles.

    I have 3 startup text files.

    Or you can backup your db, and restore. Or other typical "here and now
    there" db scenarios.

    I like my little app though, because it makes quick work of deployment.

    sloan, May 18, 2007
  5. Mahernoz

    sloan Guest

    PS

    You can write a winforms or console app that hits the membership database.

    Just reference System.Web.

    sloan, May 18, 2007
  6. why not use the free Database Publishing Wizard to create a script of
    everything - schema and data -- and run it on the target database?
    don't reinvent the wheel.
    Peter

    --
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, May 18, 2007