How can I ensure my site runs under framework 1.0?

Joseph Geretz

I recently upgraded my server to Windows 2003 / IIS 6. Naturally, this
dumped framework 1.1 on the machine. My site no longer works 100% properly.
the first thing I want to do is to ensure that the site, which was compiled
for 1.0, is actually running under 1.0 on the server. How can I control
this?

Thanks,

- Joe Geretz -

Joseph Geretz

No. If I develop an application targeted for framework 1.0, why should I be
concerned with how it runs or does not run under framework 1.1?

This is not a new issue by the way. If I develop an application targetd to
IE, why should I be concerned with how it runs or does not run under
Netscape?

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Write once, run anywhere. Yeah, right. Where have I heard that before...

- Joe Geretz -

Joseph Geretz

I completely disagree. I can't believe there is a BRAND NEW development
environment available, and you've ALREADY written legacy code that can't be
upgraded. That's GOT to be a record!

This is not an issue of making sure your app runs in IE and Netscape (or
different products) - this is just a mild ".1" upgrade of a product. What
have you done that doesn't run in 1.1??

And you think you would be better off spending all this time making sure
your app stays legacy, rather than fixing the problems so it will run on
everything?

Easy. Calm down. There's a time and place for everything. An app was
functioning. Then two significant environmental changes occur
simultaneously.

1. The OS is upgraded to Win2K3
2. The Framework is upgraded to 1.1

The app no longer functions. Which is the cause of the problem? The new OS
or the new Framework? The best way to diagnose this is to roll back either 1
or 2 and test the app. Simple process of elimination. Now there's no way I'm
rolling back the OS to Win2K. The easiest factor to rollback is the
framework. Is this approach too methodical for you?
How frustrating...

Mmm. You sound a little frustrated. Maybe a Valium...

A mild .1 upgrade? Heh, you sound like a client of mine who budgeted one day
to upgrade all of his servers from NT4 to Win2K. After all, the marketing
rep assured him that COM+ was completely backward compatible with MTS.
Didn't that turn out to be a fine adventure :)

So I will upgrade to 1.1 at the time of my choosing, when sufficient
resources are available to upgrade, test and correct any problems which may
manifest themselves.

Joseph Geretz

I say this, because I've spent my career fixing code of people like you!

I doubt you're qualified.

Joseph Geretz

Thanks,

That's the solution which was proposed by Jim Blizzard of Microsoft, above.
It's also the solution which was proposed by the article which I referenced
from http://www.3leaf.com/default/articles/ea/SBS.aspx. It seems that I'm
not the only one who sees value in being able to specify the desired
framework in the deployment environment...

(It's also the solution which I used, although this did not correct the
problem. Shifting back to 1.0 was valuable since it allowed me to confirm
that the trouble was NOT caused by the new framework. Instead, the problem
was caused by new security restrictions placed on various critical folders
during the upgrade to Win2K3. See thread titled 'WebServices break after
upgrade to Framework 1.1' in framework.aspnet for more details on the
problem and the ultimate resolution.)

- Joe Geretz -